When is it acceptable to leave your child in the bathtub unsupervised?

I'm meaning for a minute or two, not the entire time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is five and she plays on her own in the bath tub. I started stepping out for towels when she was about three.
    littlecupcake

Answer by littlecupcake at 3:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• about 5-6 years old. Never, ever leave a small baby or toddler alone for one minute.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Maybe 3. But I would have them sing their abcs until I get back. This is just for a minute or two, grabbing a towel, I suppose. I always plan ahead so I don't anticipate having to leave the kids alone.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• NEVER! You should never leave your child's side, not even when they're married, because something COULD happen to them... (sarcasm).

I leave my 2 and 4 year old (who bathe together), alone to play after we've done their washing. I sit in the hallway and fold clothes. Obviously, I leave the door open, and I'm not more than 5-10 feet away... usually more like 7 feet away.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well, I am NOT supervising my kids in the tub. If they don't know how to bathe themselves by now....they are teens. :) I think I started at about 3 leaving for a second or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My DD is almost 3 and I will step out for a second to grab a towel or pjs or something. But technically Im not leaving the room cause our bathroom is inside our bedroom. So I just have ot step around the corner.
    sweetiowamommy

Answer by sweetiowamommy at 12:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 7

Answer by rkoloms at 4:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• sometimes i walk the 2 steps to the towel closet in the hall. it takes me approximately 3.5 seconds there and back ....and i only do it bc if my child did happen to slip under the water Id for one hear this going down and even if i didnt i more than likely would be witnessing her initially slipping and going under upon returning with the towel....considering it is-- no joke, 2 steps-- from the bathroom ....just to be safe i go as quickly as i can bc "you never leave a baby in a tub unattended" ... but she should be able to gather herself to roll over and pull her head up out of the water if she did fall and i momentarily stepped out of the broom......she is 19 months and has spent lots of time in lakes and pools and loves going underwater...

NEVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD UNATTENDED FOR MORE THAN a FEW SECONDS.....other than going to get a towel 2 feet out of vision of the child in the tub, you should keep focus on your child.
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I will often fold clothes in the bathroom (washer and dryer are in there too) and take them to the bedroom and sit them on the bed with my 4 year old and 2 year old in the tub. I tell them they have to sing to me while I do it and they oblige. Just the 4 year old I wouldn't be as worried about though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• NEVER
    rslucr

Answer by rslucr at 7:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2009