Am I too old to learn to ride a bike?

It's embarassing, so I'm posting anon, but I never learned to ride a bike!! My dad tried to teach me once, but he was so impatient that I didn't learn. I feel left out because my husband and kids always go on bike rides together and I can't go. My husband bought me a beat up old bike at a yard sale for $5 and he said he'll teach me to ride, but I don't want anyone to see me, and make fun of me. I also have a fear of falling and hurting myself. If I get hurt, the whole house falls apart. You know how it is, Mom's aren't allowed to get sick or hurt. Should I just get over myself and learn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn something new! and i commend you for wanting to! i do know how to ride a bike but i started VERY late...like about 13 or so...mostly cause i was afraid of falling...people kept trying to teach me and nothing worked...but then one day a neighbor taught me a trick that was my saviour...first was to use the curb to start off...i would wheel my bike to a curb, sling my leg over, and use the curb to push off...IT WORKS! I did this for a LOONG time till i felt comfortable enough to do it without...also they taught me if i ever felt like i was going to fall, to put my feet down...like your going to stand up! (dont reccomend doing this while going fast..lol) it gave me the confidence i needed and worked BEAUTIFULLY!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Never too old to learn something new! It's all in the attitude and ability. As long as you have those things you can't go wrong. Good luck.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Training wheels? LOL! I don't mean to tease, just a funny thought. I have a friend who cannot ride a bike, she is embarrassed about it too. I would also be embarrassed having to learn, i would be paranoid too about someone laughing at me. I guess it depends on how bad you want to learn. Is there anywhere you can go where there is no people around? Maybe if you ever go somewhere a lil remote, you can bring your bike in hopes that there wont be a lot of people around. Maybe you'll get the hang of it quickly! Good luck! I'm now having trouble teaching my daughter how to ride bike, she is 7 & says all the other kids can ride but her. I will have to try harder i guess.......

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I thought about getting the adult size training wheels, but I figured I"d look even more foolish!! My husband said he'll take me to the park during the day when there's noone else there and teach me how to ride on the ballfield; that's where we taught our kids to ride. I'm more afraid of falling and getting hurt than of anyone laughing at me. I figure, I probably won't see those people again anyway, but I don't want to break my arm or leg or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Just by learning, it's doubtful you'll break anything, unless you are extremely unhealthy in your eating habits. You'll probably just skin your knees and hands. Possibly land with the bar on your crotch. That hurts! Make sure you wear closed shoes like tennis shoes, no flip flops or open sandals. You can really skin up your feet that way. Good luck and have fun!!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN ANYTHING!

Answer by older at 9:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Stay relaxed and don't overthink it!! Also, don't lose your sense of humor through the learning process. You and your husband will undoubtedly have a few laughs over it!! I think the advantage most kids have is they are fearless!!

There was a Frasier episode where he had to learn to ride a bike. Very funny!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• im just like you. i cannot ride a bike. just last night i was at the nieghbors and their young daughter has an old schwinn bike with 3 wheels and a basket on the back and i wanted to try it. it was dark out and i was still embarrassed but i went about 4 houses down-totally afraid i was going to fall off and get run over by a car. then i turned around. (i got off the bike and manually turned it around!). i want a new bike so bad but i am completely incapable of not making an ass of myself. but i am going to try. im almost 30.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's not wrong. your father was too impatient to teach you and now your husband wants to teach you xD
    you could go out in a private park or something if you feel embarrassing to try to ride a bike
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 6:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2009