What kinds of foods can you buy with food stamps? Please no debates or bashing here!

My husband is going to school and changing jobs. This is the first time we have ever needed assistance and it will only be for this year before he gets a decent job. So my question is: what can you buy? They didn't tell me squat at the office. I cook most of my food from scratch, but what if I want to get a frozen pizza or buy chocolate chips? Are these things covered? I heard somewhere that you could even order a birthday cake from Wal-Mart? What about deli-meat and stuff like that? Is it just hot foods like a rotisserie chicken or something that you can't get?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think you can get everything except alcohol and cigarettes. I'm not sure though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• anything consumable can be purchased with FS. I'd ask about the deli items. With the increase in homeless some stores do allow hot food to be paid for with stamps. If not, you can buy a Tyson rotisserie chicken in the meat dept with them.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Here you cannot buy hot food, but you can buy deli meats and cheese. When we applied they asked if wanted to be able to use them at restaurants. We said no. If you had that option and chose yes, you may be able to get the hot foods. Otherwise, you can buy anything you can eat. Soda, candy, etc. can be purchased with FS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You can buy just about anything that's food. I heard that about the deli and bakeries, but when I tried, I had no problems and it went through.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Instead of buying frozen pizza, you can buy the ingredients to make many pizzas for about the same money. Send me a message for recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• here in Maine we can buy anything we want under FS including frozen pizzas and pedialyte for baby. Precooked stuff like chicken or a meatball sub is NOT included along with the alcohol and cigarettes.You can also buy fresh herbs (at the supermarket) and birthday cakes and frosting and alot of things!! It's amazing what you can do with FS, and it's nothing to be ashamed of!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 4:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• http://allrecipes.com i use this site all the time for things that i love to make.
    Barista2

Answer by Barista2 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You can buy food items,but not alcohol, cigarettes or hot deli items. You can buy bakery, deli items, etc. Pretty much anything that you eat or can make to eat. Call the number on the back of your card and they will help you, they are awesome at customer service.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I live in Texas, and you can buy pretty much anything you can get in the grocery store. Including baby food and formula, stuff like Slim Fast and wight loss stuff. The only things that you cannot get is deli foods (unless prepackaged like party trays and stuff), bakery stuff (unless prepacked like donuts and stuff), and you can't get cigarettes or alcohol. You can still get produce and healthy stuff, it's harder to eat healthy on Food Stamps but you can do it if you really try. It has made it easier on us lately since Sam's started taking Food Stamps which makes buying meat a lot cheaper since it is in bulk. Hope this helps. But you can usually Google what is available for your state on Food Stamps and get a pretty good idea of what you can get. And if you're ever not sure check the list for what you want.
    wildflowerkej

Answer by wildflowerkej at 2:10 AM on Sep. 30, 2009