ok i am 4 months pregnant, is it ok to dye my hair partially? and can i wear nailpolish?

will that cause any harm to my baby or breastmilk?

graciause

Asked by graciause at 9:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't dye my hair during pregnancy. Especially bleach because it can fall out. I painted my nails during pregnancy and was fine. IDK about dying during breastfeeding. I asked a friend who owns a salon and she didn't know either. You still have hormones and things going on with your body, so it makes me nervous. I plan to ask the docs and try calling the number on the back of the hair dye boxes.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I know that you are safe to dye your hair after the first trimester. Your nails are fine too, BUT You need to be in a well ventilated area. That is what nI was told!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• As long as you are in a WELL ventilated area you will be okay. It's the smell of the chemicals that is dangerous, but that can be avoided. When I went to salons I went EARLY in the morning to avoid there being a strong smell there already and every 15 mins (or as soon as I could if the beautician was busy) I would go outside for fresh air. They were really understanding about it and would even go out with me and talk :) (p.s. the chemicals from the dye do not leak into your head and hurt the baby)

However, pregnancy does do some funky things and dying your hair may not turn out the way you want to. Thank the hormones. So think about that before you dye it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I asked my doc the same thing because I was long overdue to get my hair highlighted. I waited till I was 4 months along and got my hair done. I don't get my nails done though.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have researched about the hair dye and I've found that while any effects from the chemicals are unfound to be harmful, but the hormones may have an effect on the outcome of the color.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Don't worry, you can dye your hair and polish your nails.
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 10:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You are good to dye your hair after 1st trimester is over. And I painted my nails all the time with my pregnancies just do it in a well vented room or outside if it is not to hot. That is what I do!.
    acjadams

Answer by acjadams at 11:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I was curious to, last time I cut my hair I asked my stylist what she said is that its perfectly safe as long as its not your first time. They say not to because you may have an alergic reation if its your first time. If not then dye away as long as ita a well venalated area it poses no harm to the baby.
    Ad3n_M0mmy01

Answer by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• you can dye your hair after the first 12 weeks, nails are fine as well, the only bad out come of dying hair in pregnancy these days are that the chemical's in your body can make the color turn out to be a TOTALLY diff color than the one you selected- I would ask your stylist/ or if your doing it at home to do a test strip first.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2009