Can moms and kids learn to swim at any age?

I never learned to swim. Had a couple lessons as a child, but still didin't learn from them. Now I want to get my son lessons and take them too. Am I too old at 40-ish to learn? I panic whenever water season comes around because he's loving the water, but if something were to happen, I couldn't swim to save him! I have nightmares about this! Help! Is it too late for me?

BunnyButterfly

Asked by BunnyButterfly at 10:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Health

• Nope it is not too late!!! Go for it!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree, it's never too late. If it makes you feel better...my mom took swimming lessons at her local YMCA when she was about 54. She could swim sort of ok before, but it always bothered her to put her face in the water. For her taking the lessons was something she'd always thought about doing to get over her fear of the water. She finally worked up the courage to do it and ended up doing it very well. I was very proud of her for doing it and took her out to dinner when the classes were over.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Never too late! If you can't find lessons especially for adult beginners, take family lessons with your son and explain to the instructor that you are starting from scratch.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Of course it's NEVER to late to learn!!! You should also take a water safety class so that you are more comfortable with what to do in an emergency. If you are not a strong swimmer you are not going to be able to help you child in water over your head!! I highly recommend an American Red Cross (ARC) water safety class!! Call your local chapter and ask them what they offer. In that class they will teach you how to help people without actually having to get into the water.... which puts you at risk too!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Of course it's not too late! It's never too late! You may find it very fulfilling to learn how. Not only is it good for your child, it's good for you, too. Physical activity, fun, building good self-esteem.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 4:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009