What does the bible say (if anything) about taking antidepressants?

I know it doesn't say anthing about the actual word "antidepressants" but is there anything in the bible that indicates that they are bad? I was taking zoloft for the last 2 yrs & stopped a month ago because I want to try dealing with my depression the natural way.. with supplements & exercise. But im starting to get very emotional & edgy & im also going through a bad break up with my S/O?? What should I do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Without any doubt at all God loves you. You will go to heaven if you take antidepressants because God instructions are to love one's self and take care of health and loved ones. Talk to your doctor about other medicines and including exercise with even hula hoops to music videos - very very empowering. I suggest first talking with your doctors and dosages of whichever antidepressant is right for you to be maintained in side of you to keep you healthy then after that talk to your doctors about if more natural ways can be substituted. Most 'natural' supplements and vitamins are not fda controlled and tested. Be careful.

Breaking up is hard isn't it. I'm in a bad way with my husband myself. I've joined several public libraries for different FREE programs for adults and kids of all different ages. Try that plus exercising to good music. Can you have use of a bicycle? That's also something that makes me feel good down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I read the Bible and it is OK to take medication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The Bible does not address this subject as such. What it does address are the reasons for depression and God's prescription for overcoming it. And I can testify first hand that His ways work. It's impossible to tell you all that He says, but one of the biggest things is that you cannot be living your life in direct disobedience to God's word and not feel anxious and depressed. If you really want to be free from it, begin to prayerfully read the Bible, asking God to show you the areas of disobedience in your life. As He reveals them to you, as He surely will, you must be willing to change those areas so that they are in allignment with His will and His ways. Sin is a very subtle enemy, and it creeps into our lives without our even knowing it. We justify it by saying that society approves or everyone else is doing it. God's children can live in no other ways except by His rules. To do otherwise is to invite depression.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Nannyb, depression is a physical illness. God doesn't punish us with physical illnesses because of disobedience. If he did you and I both would be dead. I have depression and the one thing we don't need is your guilt trip!

OP get the medicine, do what you need to be healthy. You wouldn't question taking insulin if you were diabetic or blood pressure medication for heart disease. Depression is a real physical disease that effects our emotions. Please don't buy into the idea that it is spiritual or you have done something to cause it. That is a lie strait from Satan. Please get the help you need.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The God I believe in is not vengeful nor does he punish us with physical illness. God loves you and wants you to be happy and well. If medical intervention is needed in order to gain that happiness and wellness, then the God I pray to would be all for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009