How much are braces (in a general range) and how does your insurance cover them?

Do you have total coverage? Partial? Do they give payment plans? My 8 year old will be getting a partial set within the next year and then a full set in the future. The first is to correct a bite issues on one side. I did not even discuss fees because I was in shock, and this was an evaluation visit. I thought they'd tell me she didn't need them until her tween years!!! My coverage is around $1200 lifetime--which won't be helping much.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Health

• We were quoted $2400 for my son, and we would have a $500 deductible on that. He still has two baby teeth left to loose though until we get them done.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• when ds was 9 we went through the expansion phase first then the corrective braces it was four thousand dollars. i think we paid around $800. he now has the damon system and it was also four thousand dollars. i paid $900.
    all three offices involved including the oral surgeon who removed supernumerary teeth all set up payment plans at the first visit and were firm in payment schedules. no payments no visits. they also were ready to give 10-20% discounts for payment in full at first appointment.
    when we left MS we were still in treatment and had to find continual care here in GA. the orthodontist in MS felt bad and sent all our payments back when the records were forwarded. I think your provider will be just as willing to be helpful.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Our insurance doesn't cover ANYTHING for orthodontics. "Phase I" is $3,000 and they do have a pymt plan ... we did a downpymt, then $200/mo for a year. Then it's on to "Phase II" which will be around $5,000. OUCH! My neighbor has 4 kids and she's already in over $10K!
    jj.mominmd

Answer by jj.mominmd at 10:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• we had no coverage...mine were 5400 and my stepsons were similar.
    parrothead

Answer by parrothead at 11:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Jameson's expander already used up our lifetime coverage for orthondontics which was $1200 and he still needs a partial set at minimum. We still paid $800 out of pocket for the expander too. He is getting his braces I think in two years. I don't know. I'm in denial. He will have to be out of private school by then because we can't afford both.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I just had mine taken off a year ago..... We did not have orthodontic coverage, so I had to pay for mine. They were $4200, if we paid up front they gave us a 10% discount. If not we could make payments to the orthodontist that would equal the amount of the braces divided by the amount of time that he tells you it will take.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Do the fees also cover all the office visits (I hope)?
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son had an expander and I didn't know my insurance would only pay up to $1000 for orthodontics per child in a lifetime. They paid half for the expander and his braces cost $5000. The insurance paid $300 (the rest that was left over from the expander) and we are paying the rest. It includes all office visits and our office we pay monthly payments with no interest.
    deedees77

Answer by deedees77 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009