I need some ideas for school lunches. My son will be in 1st grade and I'm sick of sending the same PB&J and Spaghetti O's. Any fun ideas for a picky eater???

Allyson1804

Asked by Allyson1804 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in

• I don't know if he would eat it but you could take a hot dog and wrap it in a piece of cheese and then a tortilla and microwave it for a few seconds. Even though it won't be hot at lunch time the cheese will not be a cold slice since it will have been previously melted. The tortilla gets a little crunchy but that makes it good and different then a bun. My kids like these.
    28yroldgranny

Answer by 28yroldgranny at 10:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My kids love nutter fluffer and nana sandwiches. I also use tortillas with juliann(sp) veggies like carrots, zucchinni, shreded cheese and a little ranch dressing and make veggie roll ups. Fruit kabobs and plain yogurt. Mini pizzas on englis muffins.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• does he like veggies? how about cheese and crackers? add some fruit too...
    Oh and he likes dipps, by all means add his favs with the veggies...
    what other lunch meats does he like? Make those sandwiches also..
    We have also sent those lunchables (when they are on sale) and
    bagels ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My sisters love lunchables but the other moms have great ideas. My mom would sometimes send my sister with pepperonis, cheese, and crackers and some snacks. Make a list of the foods your child does like and makes different ways of creating a lunch for him.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years. Send me a message if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Try every website you can think for from ideas. Two of my favorites are kraftfoods.com and yum-o.org. Narrow some choices down and then let him decide. Try the new choices out at home on the weekends to make sure they're successes. At the dinner table encourage him to taste new foods, but don't require that a certain amount be eaten. No matter what, take solice in the knowledge that his taste buds will grow with time.
    wya_mom

Answer by wya_mom at 9:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Small bagels with cream cheese and strawberry jelly or salami. I pack regular bread separate for my son, and then lunch meat. He likes them this way. You could cut up pita bread and hummus or other things that he likes to dip with.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• try www.kraft.com, they have a category for bag lunches. Make sandwiches on different types of bread, use tortialla. bagles, etc. Send cheese, crackers and lunchmeat. Dry cereal in a bowl (they get milk at school). Fruit salad. Cold pasta salads (tuna, chicken, etc).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• How about getting some things that you know that he likes and have him help you pack his lunch.
    Give him some options and let him pick from them. This worked for my oldest son who used to be a picky eater. For example I get some meats that I know he likes and he gets to choose the meat and if it goes on bread or a tortilla to make a roll. He gets to pick his own fruit out of the ones that I have bought. He also gets to pick out his own chips and helps me bag them. Then we have a few diffrent drinks that he can choose from and a small dessert. It takes a little more time to fix them but he enjoys helping me make the lunch and he likes what he has so he eats it.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2009