• In the Spotlight:

Lately going to a restauraunt with my 17mos old has been a nightmare! Any tips?

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What exactly is the issue?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We stopped going to resteraunts at that age. It became too stressful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I say, don't stop going. Choose kids friendly restaurants and try to teach your child how to behave, about staying in their chair, eating behavor, etc. Start now as when they are older, it can be harder to control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• When you get to the restaurant, let your kid run around outside for a few minutes to burn off some steam. Then tell them what you need them to do when they are in the restaurant. Toddlers want to know what to expect. Talk about sitting in the seat, not throwing stuff, no outside voice, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• That can be a stressful age because they don't want to sit in their high chairs and may be picky eaters. I tip I got from a friend when we were approaching this age is let them know the rules before you sit down and be very clear using words they can understand. Then if they start misbehaving calming take them outside or to the bathroom and kneel down to their level and explain that their behavior is not okay and then tell them you want them to sit quietly and color or play. No spanking just letting them know their behavior will not be tolerated. I started doing this with my 2 year old and it has worked wonderfully. When we return to the table his attitude has totally changed. I also ask him to say sorry to others at the table. If he chooses not to fine but he generally does. It helps set manners early.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I always put a toy car and some crayons in my bag. When he starts trying to get out and fuss I pull them out. One at a time though. after he gets tired of his car I pull out the crayons. This always works with my 18 month old.
    alissa0122

Answer by alissa0122 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Also try stickers, They keep my son busy for hours!
    alissa0122