Why are Occupational Therapistd needed?

I came across this statement below from an anon poster it has to do with lollipops.

"They improve concentration. I homeschool. When we read or do math we use chewing gum or lollipops to help focus. Learned it from an occupational therapist. It stimulates the brain because of the sensory input. :)"

Is this something for home-schoolers or it is something new in schools. Sorry but I don't seem to know much about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry, that was me. My son has Sensory Integration Disorder. I learned during his therapy that different things stimulate the brain in different ways. Tactile, taste, sight, hearing. He actually had a cd to listen to that stimulated different parts of the brain using different pitches. It is really interesting studying. :)
    Does that help?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We've never had ot, have had speech therapists at home for son public schooled after school. They used stringing beads and sewing cardboard pictures to keep his hands busy so his brain could concentrate on speech. When his hands were free his mind roamed and didn't focus. The handiwork crafts required a different brain concentration than speech.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• anon above thanks op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OT has a lot more to do with rehab purposes. People who have serious falls, are recovering from surgery (such as joint replacement), children with disabilities, or people with brain injuries are generally candidates for OT. It usually goes hand in hand with PT but it is different. PT focuses on the physical gross motor skills such as walking, while OT focuses on fine motor skills like writing but it also has a lot to do with day to day activities. It is a very broad field, in general it is not needed by every child but for those who DO need it this can be make a notable difference in the quality of life. Not all kids need speech therapy, but for those who do it makes all the difference in their lives.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Ot's are part of the special ed. department. As said above, they deal with sensory integration(my twins), fine and gross motor skills(my oldest for handwriting), even things like feeding for severely disabled children.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My exh says they are not (so does his fiancee) however my DD needs them as she has delays. Since beginning the OT/PT/Speech she has improved a great deal.

Ot/PT therapists help children with a wide range of delays, sensory issues, fine and gross motor skills, social interaction and even behavior problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Two of my sons were in OT due to severe and moderate delays in fine motor skills. PT works with gross motor skills. (one of my sons will receive PT this school year in preschool)

My oldest also has SPD and his OT helped him a LOT with that.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009