Dog food question???

I need a GOOD CHEAP dog food for a big dog. We are having some finanancial difficulty and we are having to cut everything. Normally I buy purina the size I need I use to be able the get for 9.99 now it's 14.99. He has always been on purina. Any suggestions and not something full of fillers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pets

• do you have a feed store or co-op nearby? i get 50lbs for $16.00 of a 22% protein blend.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yep, i'd suggest Loyall or River Run from your local feed store! The higher the protein, the better the blend is for your dog.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks I will find one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• just a note, almost all of your feeds are going to be made by purina or nutrena anyway regardless of the name on the bag. :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i know its bad fo rthe animals but when im in a finacial pinch i but my big boy the cheapest food i can get and on top of it he gets scraps. here dads is the cheapest and he only gets 2 cups a day pluse scraps that accumulate through out the day if he ends up with a bowl full of scraps then i give him a little less food...befor i moves in with my parents i was feeding all of my animals, dog,cats,mice,rats, dog food b/c it was all i could afford and still today my cats prefer to eat dog food over cat food...lol i have been so desperat for dog food that i have used my fs to buy hamburg and chicken to cook and feed my dog...he really like that but hes healthy and far form starving so i must be doing something right...lol
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• What do you think dogs ate before companies started making dog food? They ate what their people ate if they were tame dogs! (Cats do need cat food, or a special diet--some sort of nutrient in the cat food for their eyes that isn't in dog food.) Table scraps are okay to fill out your dogs diet, and do get some cat food for your kitties--you don't want them to go blind. People say to not feed dogs scraps, but that is mostly to keep them from learning to beg. Sounds like yours get theirs at the end of the day in their own bowls, so that is not a problem for you. Best cheap food I've found is Purina dog chow, and it's good, but not the cheapest out there, I know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I feed my dog Innova; it's more expensive but there are NO fillers, no corn, no by-products so you actually feed your dog less of it. When he was on Science Diet he would eat 4 cups a day (he's a big dog) and now he eats 2 cups a day of Innova. They also make inexpensive but VERY healthy food called Healthwise, which is what I feed my cats, and they make it for dogs too; made by the Natura company. www.naturapet.com to find where you can get it near you.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Cheaper isn't always better! Purina is not healthy (no matter what the cute little commercials try to make you believe). If you buy a higher quality dog food, you have to feed them less so it will be cheaper or about the same in the long run. If your feed store sales Diamond Naturals, I would go with that. It is a pretty good food at a decent price. At my local feed store I can get it for $31.95 for 40lbs. I actually feed Taste of the Wild though (which is also made by Diamond) and I spend $42.95 for 30lbs. I only have to feed my 37lb dog 1.75 cups/day and feed my 26lb dog 2/3 cups/day. You should basically stay as far away from the big name brands as posible!  Just compare the ingredients for yourself...go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Another good web site to go to to learn about dog food is www.dogfoodproject.com
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• so sorry you are having financial troubles...

We sure do like Chicken soup for the Dog lovers soul - It is a fairly good price - not sure in your area if you can find it.  Also, many of the feed stores ( for cattle and farm animals ) , they may sell there own blend.

also, for more dog food helps and review see Here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Lamb and Rice food is the best cheaper food you're going to find. The more colorful and funny shaped the food is, the less healthy it is. Add chicken for flavor if your dog isnt liking it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2009