Prepping for my first baby..

This may be a little stupid..

If anyone remembers or kept track, do you know an estimated number of how many newborn diapers and stage 1 diapers you went threw?
I don't want to over buy..I know all babies grow differently but I just want a general idea of how many I will need

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, Congratulations!!! :) I am calibrating my only one's first birthday!! :) I'm excited for you!! :)

I cloth diaper my LO, but I will say that the hospital will have diapers for you. While you are there, make sure and ask for more, even if you don't need them. Take home what ever extra you have left from there. Then I would buy a big box of either NB or size 1. But I don't suggest buying them before the baby comes. My LO fit into the NB ones the hospital gave me for a while. (before I started using my cloth) But I have heard of some babies that are 8+ lbs. that don't even fit in the NB size. So to avoid having a huge box of wrong size dipes, I would wait. But a big box should last you till they need the next size. My LO didn't go to the next size cloth for at least 2 months. I don't know if a big box will even last that long. Good luck and ENJOY!!! =)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 11:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son went through a box of newborn diapers plus what he used at the hospital, then maybe three boxes of size 1. (I don't think they make boxes of those sizes anymore, so figure a box would be two of the big packs of 50+ diapers.) My daughter was in the hospital for 10 days and was in size 1's for most of that stay, so I could tell you how many newborns she used, and then she went through about four or five big packs of size 1's. I would say get one small pack of newborns, if that (you'll probably get some from the hospital, too), and two or three packs of size 1's to start off. Then if you need more, you can go from there.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Don't worry about over buying either-if you have too many of one size take them back to the store unopened and exchange for the right size. I did it all the time. I think I went thru a package of 40 in less than a week-they were a little small for my son too. I used Pampers Swaddlers for the first year.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My daugher was small and had trouble gaining weight, so we went through 3-4 boxes of newborns before moving to size 1. I'd recommend getting a small bag of newborns and size 1 and keep the receipt. If you have a bigger baby, return the newborn size. If you have a small one, send hubby out or ask guests to help you out by bringing some. I always offered to pay when I asked, but no one would let me! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY! AND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID YOU CAN ALWAYS EXCHANGE THEM.

Answer by older at 11:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My first son was only 5 lbs when he was born so he was in preemie diapers for about 2 weeks and then he was in newborn for about 4 weeks. I think we went through 6 packages of newborns. That's the big packages. Size one was a few boxes. I don't remember completely. With my second he was only in newborn for about a week. So maybe 2 packages and then he was in size 1's for a long time. Probably 3 or 4 boxes. It really just depends on the baby. With my second my friends had a diaper shower and I got a TON of size 1 and 2 diapers. More than I needed. I did not open them and I took back what I didn't need and exchanged them for the next size. Don't worry about overbuying.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• it all depends on your baby. My daughter was 7lbs 3oz and went through a big box of Newborn diapers befor she was big enough for size 1. But some kids get bigger faster, or are built differently. There really isn't any reason you can't skip the newborn size, so what if the diapers are a tad bit big in the beginning? We went through 3 boxes of size 1 diapers and a box of size 2 before switching to cloth.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2009