It's considered disrespectful to call your parents by their names... Is it to call your Grandparents by theirs?

growing up in my family you never called your parents by their names, or your grandparents. It was Mom, Dad, Grandma and grandpa.. Or whatever names they went by (mommy daddy Gran nanna.. whatever)... My Moms brother lives in another state so we dont see him and his family but every few years when they can afford to take off work. His kids have always called my Grandparents "Grandma Ann and Grandpa Frank" but their other grandma on their moms side is simply called Oma.. She lives far away from them too. All the kids were always in shock when my uncles kids would say my grandparents names lol. Is my family the only one like this? It just seems super weird to hear them say it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• even now as adults when they say it I want to say "dont call them that its weird"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No. I have heard many say Granda "Smith" or Grandpa "Miller" to distinguish between the maternal and paternal grandparents. I see no purpose of calling them that to their faces though. In my family, it's Grandma and Pop-pop . . . we don't use names.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think it's fine to distinguish between granparents. My mom and dad were Granny and Gramps on the farm and my in-laws were Granny and Gramps in the little house. My granparents were Granny (last name) and Grandpa (last name). And my stepmom was for a while Gramma Sheryl, but now the kids just call her Gramma.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I will be heartbroken if my kids ever call me by my first name.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well I didnt grow up with my Dad so when I see him which is not often. I call him Mark not Dad, but the family i was raised with is mom, grandma and grandpa. lol I guess it would be weird for my cousins to call my grandparents by their names. Ive never thought about it cause no one says their names. My Grandmas name is Ann too. My Grandpa doesnt even call her by that lol he makes up names like annabelle.. LOL we're like who is Annabelle.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 11:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think it's different if you say "grandma ____" rather than just the first name. The first name alone is disrespectful unless the grandmother requested otherwise.

My parents are mom and dad and grandparents are grandma and grandpa. or grandma Last Name. My aunts and uncles though, is all by first name. I think that was because we learned to repear our parents, and they called their siblings by first name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I grew up that you never called your parents by their first names nor your grandparents.
    We differentiated our two sets of grandparents by using Grandpa and then their last name.

I know some who use first names and I dont think much of it...just not how I was raised so I dont do it.

My kids differentiate their grandmothers by calling my DH's mother Grandma Susan(she's dead so this was just an easy way to refer to her) while my mom is just Grandma. My dad is their only grandfather so he's just grandpa although Ive said grandpa K a few times LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i think it is when its parents but idk about grandparents it dont matter if ur 50 and ur mom is 75 u still should call here mom. unless she hasent been a good mom and u are just on a talking term like u say hi every once and a while
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My kids call me by my first name. There's nothing disrespectful about it. It's my name lol. I call my mother Mama and my father by his first name though. Now if someone were uncomfortable with it and the child continued to do it it would be disrespectful. But my kids were raised, as I was, to call other adults "Miss" or "Mr" first name or last name. I still can't call an adult older than me by their first name lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i've been calling my mother by her first name for several years because of control issues. In her brain hearing me call her by her first brain reminds her that I'm an adult like her, first. And second after that I'm her adult daughter.

My kids have always called all grandparents grandma and grandpa with last names when we're not together.

I'm really close to my kids all three. two in their twenties and one a teen. I'm proud of their growth, their mistakes and accomplishments. calling me by my first name if they ever choose to do that would be another growth step. Our blood is still connected no matter what they call me even if it's that bitchy witch which at times they've definitely thought of me as!!!! i love my kids and knowing they're growing into adulthood. Don't be afraid munch12502 - it's more important that the feeling and actions in life of love and respect exist. Names are secondary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009