at what age should i consider putting my child in pre-school?

any insight, pros/cons, etc would be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• AFTER THE BABY IS TOILET TRAINED, HALF A DAY FOR YOUNGER ONES, UNTIL THEY ADJUST.

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Preschool isn't a requirment of life. If you are teaching them at home and they are a well behaved and sociable child they really don't need preschool. But if you choose to do so a year before kindergarten is fine.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• At a certain point, kids start to need a lot more social interaction with other children. This can be accomplished with frequent playdates, but if you don't know a lot of other parents with kids the same age, this can be accomplished more easily with a preschool. For my daughter, this happened around her second birthday. Boys often get to this point a little later than girls.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would try to meet some moms in your area and have "play day" 2-3 times a week for an hour or two tops... this will help your little one get social interaction and learn that you don't have to be with him/her all the time. preschool could come when you feel your child is ready for a longer time frame and is ready to be away from home, there is no hard rule, you know your child go from that... good luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think these are good answers. I have a one year old, so I was curious also. I was planning on putting her in pre school at about 3 1/2 or 4. She gets a lot of socialization with her cousins and we sing ABC's and do flash cards and read books through out the day for a total of around an hour and 1/2 every day. So I'm not worried about her development. I just want her to get used to being with different kids and away from me and home, even though I have never had a problem with her going to a baby sitter. I guess that sounds like the age they would be able to handle it and it gives them enough time to adjust for the real thing in a couple years. :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Most preschools here are three and potty trained. Three year old class is three hours two times a week, four year old three hours three times a week and pre-k three hours five times a week. I'm sure you teach your child at home and there is nothing wrong with putting your child in preschool if you choose to. They do much more than just play.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I put my oldest in a special full day school for kids with autism at age 3, my middle two kids I put in preschool half day at 2 for 2 days, 3 half days at 3, and 5 half days at 4. Am planning on the same schedule for my youngest. The half days were from 9:30-1:30 and I loved it - gave me some time to get all of my work done so when they came home, I could spend time playing with them!

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009