Some girls told me what I was doing was evil.

I started selling Avon to earn extra money and it has helped me a lot. These 2 girls at my hubby's work found out about it and basically said it was gross and they were appalled about it and said it was evil. These two girls are Mormons, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MORMONS OR ANY OTHER RELIGION, but they really made me feel bad by acting this way. First of all I like selling Avon, they are a company that is highly involved in helping women, and the fight against breast cancer and domestic violence. Also I have never even tried selling them anything, I sell to one of my friends that works there and when I took her her stuff and some new books, this is when these girls acted this way. I have no idea how I should have reacted I was shocked that they acted this way and I didn't want to cause a scene. What are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have yet to see a woman selling Avon that has horns and a pitch fork. They obviously have their own beliefs and could have said kindly "no thank you", their intent was to make you feel bad. Don't! Your are trying to earn extra cash for your family. It is not like you were selling porn.....lol!
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 3:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would have just said that's your opinion and you are entitled to it and left it at that.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would tell them that IF I WAS INTERESTED IN THEIR OPINION ON MY LIFE I WILL ASK FOR IT. Until then butt out!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• selling makeup can in no way be considered evil. I would just smile and be nice and avoid the conflict. Its weird that they acted that way over AVON. Just keep doing your thing and dont let them get to you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• wow and how is that evil? maybe they thought selling something in the workplace was "evil"? lol. maybe if they are against makeup, avon is evil? do they know it isnt all makeup? I saw an awesome book in the catalog about DIY projects using everyday things in your home. I couldnt afford it at the time, but what a cool book!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• if they confronted me I would have asked..."ok so you don't want anything then?" lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• How is selling Avon evil???? Just ignore them and tell them it's none of their business!!!
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 12:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OP here, I literally felt attacked by these girls. I thought OMG, are Mormons against AVON? Also, I had attended one of these girls wedding and gave her a nice gift too (this was last year though), thought she was a nice girl, but NOT NOW.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I sold Avon for awhile. It isn't evil. Often times more work than its worth, but not evil. That's strange.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• How very christian of them. Ignore people like that. Extremist views are like a horse wearing blinders. they don't see the bigger picture. Everyone has the right to their opinion, just note that theirs is one of extremes and move forward. Their intolerance is quite ugly and lots of people notice it I'm sure. What a poor way to witness for your religion.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009