SHAMS, Do you bring your children to daycare/extra activities.

I am a Sham, and I bring my LO to daycare 2 times a week for 4 hours, and gymnastics 4 times a week for 2 hours-
My DH gets SO angry that I send them to daycare, when they could be at home for free, he thinks I'm being lazy.
However I bring them there because I think they need social interaction with other children there own age, as there are not many youngsters in my area.
Am I wrong for taking them to daycare and other activities, IS it being lazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no it is not being lazy. If you can afford it, then a few hours/days/wk is good in my opinion. U can go to lunch with another mom and have adult conversation or get something done and kids do like the activities.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I'm not a SHAM, I'm a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom). Don't know what a sHAm is, sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I didn't send my children to daycare, but to preschool when they were 3 and 4 years old (2 or 3 days per week for 2 hours). Any extracurricular activities we did as a family or group with other moms. I was otherwise home with them, teaching them whatever I could.

Now that my younger son is beginning full-day kindergarten in a few weeks, I'll be going back to work while they're in school.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Uh, aren't people like :38 annoying?? Sheesh...anyway...

I am not a SAHM, but I do work from the home 3 days per week and I will tell you right now that if I WAS a SAHM you can bet your butt they'd go to daycare/preschool a couple of days a week...they'd need a break just as bad as I would... and since I already know what fun they have there, since they currently go 2x per week, I couldn't take that away from them. As hard as I might, I just can't provide that kind of fun and friends and crafts, etc. at home with just us.

And yes on the activities too...while I don't agree with overscheduling kids, an activity or 2 a week is good for them.

My kids are 4.5 and 2.5 btw.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes you're being lazy in my opinion. That's what the activities are for, they give your child interaction with other kids and so do play dates. They don't have to be dropped off at daycare to be social with other kids. I am a SAHM and have 3 kids, we got 2 times a week to swim lessons and 3 times a week to football practice for my 5 yr old. We also try to fit a play date in there somewhere.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I'm not a SAHM, but I think it is being lazy. I send my kids to daycare because I work my butt off all week and NEED them to be somewhere. You could be taking a daycare slot away from someone who really needs it. There are so many people who send their kids to my daycare that drop them off at 7 in the morning and pick them up at 5pm while they go home and do whatever without their kids. Thats what play groups are for, to socialize. In most cases you chose to be a SAHM, so thats what you should do, if you dont like it, get a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I bet the State pays for your kids daycare costs and all the other Moms that drop their kids off at 8am and pick them up at 5pm while their sitting on their butts all day. I bet if YOU were actually paying it you would keep them home in a heart beat. Could be wrong but doubt it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I do not understand the obsession of mothers choosing to pay to send their kids off to daycare/preschool these days when they are perfectly capable of spending quality time with their child or going to story time at the library or to the park where they can meet other children (and moms too) their age. It seems like a waste of money in my opinion. Sure we need a break as SAHMs, and it's one thing if you work all day and HAVE to send your kid to daycare that's understandable. But I do worksheets, and crafts and dance around the place with my kids and they go to the park and meet friends so they are far from being social recluses. And it doesn't cost 10 bucks an hour or 200 a week.

your husband has a valid point, and it's not too often i agree with the hubbies on this site either. LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My DS will be starting MDO in September. I want him to get used to being away from me. We also go to play groups at least once a week. It's not lazy, it's good for them to be away from you and to socialize with others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I pay for my children's daycare, and I pay for there gymnastics as well, ALSO I volunteer at the day care they attend while they are there... I don't understand why people get upset about it. I do it because the ONLY children living in the neighborhood I live in are MUCH to young, or MUCH to old for my children.I thought I was being a good mother giving them activities with children there own age.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009