Should I get a playmate for our Boxer? Boxer Owners preferably.

My boxer is about a year old. We have two children. One of which is actually big enough to play with him. I feel guilty that he has to be the only dog when he is so sociable and loves to play with other dogs. We have been communicating with a lady on craigslist who has a female boxer who is 2. I know the male/female dynamic for dogs is a lot better for them so they don't fight. My husband thinks it is just going to be another headache, but I think our dog would feel a lot better with a friend to play with when he is in the yard. We let him in and out during the day to keep him from overheating and so he gets some time with us. He seems happy enough, but I just want him to not to feel lonely. Does anyone know if the Boxer breed does better with playmates and what are the pros and cons of having two boxers. Thanks!

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 12:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I have a purebred female boxer and I can say unequivocally YES! I strongly feel that 2 dogs are happier than one. The one bit of advice I'd give you is to let your boxer pick out the new dog. If you put aside any preconceived notions you may have about gender, breed, size, etc., your boxer will let you know which one it likes best and ultimately that will make for a happier union. Too many people rehome animals because they don't make sure they get along with their existing pets.

And please consider visiting your municipal shelter. We brought our dogs down to the shelter (one has since passed away) and they picked out Berkeley who is a sharpei/pit mix. Not a dog I would have given a second look to. But Berk and Gertie are closer than littermates. They sleep cuddled up together, play together, everything. And she was only $5! Good luck!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh thank you. I knew I wasn't crazy thinking he needed a friend. Anyway...we are doing "chemistry test" tommorow to see if the two dogs like each other.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Aww that's sweet of you! I wish I could get another dog. I've got a boxer/pit mix and he's the best! Just remember; dogs don't have the same thought processes as people. They don't walk around thinking "I'm lonely, I wish I had a friend." And getting another dog could upset the balance so definitely make sure the dog you pick gets along with your dog! Good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had a female boxer named Connie until she was 12 yrs. old. Unfortunatly i lost her, but am def. going to be getting another one when my youngest son is almost 3. I can hardly wait until that day. Its just that i have 3 boys 4 and under and it would not be fair to the dog or my sons if i got what i wanted now. It is totally up to you whether you get a companion for you boxer. If she loves other dogs that is great. I just took my boxer over to my aunts house and let her play with her German Shep. They got along great and they were both female. You can get 2 females as long as one is more dominate than the other. If they are on the same level, yes they will quarrel. but if one is more submissive than they shouuld get along just fine. Hopt to hear what you have decided. Good luck
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Most boxer owners that send their dogs to my kennel/doggie daycare end up with 2 or more. They are very social dogs and thrive with interaction. I think it would be a good idea.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• well I'm not a boxer owner but we just got another dog. My oldest is 3. She has totally changed since we got the new puppy. She listens better and is better behaved in the house. DOgs are pack animals and really other than more poo to clean up two isn't much more work.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2009