Breastfeeding and my period... ?

My DD is 3 months old. I predominantly breastfeed (supplementing formula for trips and very busy days).
I bled for 2 days, about a month after she was born. And nothing since then. But I've been cramping for weeks on end now. I know breastfeeding changes all that. I'm just not sure what to expect.
I'm also slightly nervous, because we had a broken condom incident about a month and a half ago. (ugh) I should go buy a pregnancy test, just to ease my crazy mind, but I can't stand the thought of running into a member of my fiance's family at the store! LOL. They're everywhere!
Any advice, experiences to share, or words of wisdom for me?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 12:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have yet to get my period and my little one has been nursing for 17 months now. You may be cramping if your uterus is still normalizing. If you're worried about possible pregnancy, get a test from the dollar store, they are only a dollar! YAY!
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 3:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Breastfeeding isn't a good form of birth control as it's unreliable from woman to woman. I'd go get a test anyway
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i was definitely not planning on using it as birth control. definite accident there!
    i guess i should have been more specific. my real question is-
    moms who breastfed, how long was it til you started your period again?
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Ah, I see. I got mine when she was 5 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• thanks :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 1:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It varied from child to child for me. I got preg after my DD at six months postpartum with no period in between, got it back after 7 months with one DS and didn't get it back until a year with other DS. Any time between a couple weeks after birth and several months after you wean entirely is normal, and there's no way to predict when it will come back.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I didn't get mine until I was completely done BF so it took 15 months.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i dint get mine for almost four months and i didnt breastfeed
    Roxiannamomma

Answer by Roxiannamomma at 3:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009