How do you travel by plane with an eight month old child?

My spouse's grandfather has terminal cancer, and his doctor does not think he will be with us for more than a few more days. My dear one already has emergency leave papers on file (he is in the Army), so that he can fly up to Mass. the day that his grandfather passes. He really wants me and our daughter to attend the funeral with him. However, I have some concerns about the trip. Aside from an extreme personal fear of flying, I have no idea what the rules are when traveling with a baby. Do we need to buy her a seat? Can I bring her carseat onboard with me? I read that you cannot take liquids on a plane anymore, so how would I feed her? Do you have any other advice on this subject?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Travel

• The best thing to do is to check with your airline. From what I understand, at only 8 mos old you do not have to buy her a seat. However, that means you will have to hold her the entire trip. If you buy her a seat, you can bring her car seat on board and attach it to her seat on board. As for the liquids restrictions, I don't believe those apply to baby formula. But again,, the best thing to do is to check with your airline.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You could call the airline to double check, they should be able to answer your questions. Also, I do know that you can purchase a seat for her and put her car seat in it. I know that some babies can be held on your lap for the trip, but I am not sure of the ages for this and it would also depend on the length of the flight as to what you might prefer to do.
    NannyTracy

Answer by NannyTracy at 1:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My first plane trip was to go visit my hubby at AIT. My daughter was 8 months old so i think i can help you. It is up to you to decide if you want to buy her a seat or not. Depending on how long your flight will be I chose to just hold her. (Cheaper that way) If you choose to buy her a seat a carseat is a must obviously. if you choose to hold her thats probably the easiest. Unless the ppl u are going to see have a car seat you will need to take her car seat with you for when you land. you can either hold her AND her seat in your lap or you can get a ticket put on it and at the gate of the plain there will be someone to give the seat to. they will ensure it is put under the plane. That way it doesnt get lost in luggage. As for the formula, your baby as well as you will get to take a carry on bag (her diaper bag) in the bag you can put a bottle of water and a can of formula that is still sealed.
    BrooksDestiny

Answer by BrooksDestiny at 5:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My daughter was 6 months old on her first flight. ( i am also not a fan of flying!) No car seat is needed. You will pay for your seat and your daughter will sit on your lap. If you decided you want to take a car seat on board then you have to pay for her seat and install it on your own. ( not worth it)

You are able to take bottle with formula and any baby food with you on board. You will have to buy water once you are through security though. Pack your diaper bag with some small toys to keep her entertained as well as any snacks. (puffs , cereal ect.) Be sure to have a change of clothes as well. ( take it from me- i didn't and my daughter at the time had a nasty diaper!) Be sure to have a pacifier as well for take off and landing. Another thing to have is tynenol. Good luck- you guys will be fine!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son was 8 months old when we first flew, it was a total of 4 hours flying time but I had 2 layovers to change planes, and I had to manage it all by myself, with the baby, 2 bags, his diaper bag, his stroller, and his carseat! You can decide if you want to hold the baby in your lap or buy a seat. If you buy a seat you should take her carseat on the plane because it is safer for her that way. It is cheaper just to hold her on your lap though. If you need to bring her carseat for transport when you get there, you can check that with your checked baggage. As far as the formula allowed on the plane, I am not sure. You would want to check with your airline for that before you go. Take only a SMALL bag on the plane as you will have your hands full dealing with the baby when you are boarding and departing the plane. In that bag you should have a few diapers, change of clothes, snacks, pacifier if needed, a toy or 2, any meds needed
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We flew with my first daughter when she was 7 months old. We used her carrier through the airport and then just gate checked it. It was easy to get her through the airport, plus we then had a carseat when we got where we were going. Holding her on our laps was the easiest thing for us. Breastmilk/formula or just about any product for a baby is usually an exception to the rule. We brought juice with us and made soem formula up just before boarding.
    Try to change her right before and then right after getting on the plane. There is no real place to change them on the plane. Don't forget an extra outfit for her and an extra shirt (at least) for you just in case.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 8mos. is a good age to travel w/your baby by plane.
    You can buy one ticket and place baby on your lap. Bring plunty of snacks and toys in a stocked diaper bag w/ a couple complete changes of clothes for her. You should both do well.
    I took my dd on several trips when she was 3-10mos old by myself. It gets really hard when they start walking!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2009