22lb. 3 year old?

Is this normal? My niece is 3 and only weighs 22 lbs.! My Sister-in-law says the doc. has never said this is unhealthy for her. Isn't that really really tiny?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My cousins child is 5 and weighs 30. My daughter is 2 and weighs 33. If the doctor isn't worried and she's eating healthy then I'd let it go
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes it is tiny, my daughter was the same way. Look at her frame. Can you see her ribs, is she small boned? She is fine or the doctor would have said something. In our case the doctor did say something, to which I stated, "Grandma is 4'11 and 100 lbs soaking wet and Grandpa is 5'. I think she is fine." And he agreed with me. :) If she is being fed,then back off.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my baby is 18 months and weighs 31. but if her dd is healthy..is fine

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i say shes fine, heck my niece is 3 and weights 65pds.. lol she is a big ol girl.. and they say she will grow out of it.. so i say no worries, she will grown in her own time.. my 6yr old is only 37pds..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 1:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Is she short? My sister is a tiny thing will be 5 in a few months and I think only weighs a little under 30. I can see her ribs but the child is a freaking vaccum when it comes to food. Lucky kids got their dads metabolism. Im jealous...lol
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It is on the tiny side. My son is going to be 3 in Dec. and weighs 27lbs. which I think is a little small too. As long as she is eating healthy, I think it is that bad. My son has not really gained any weight since he started walking. He is always on the move, so if that is her case I can see why gaining weight might be hard.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's tiny, but not unhealthy. My daughter is 26 months and is up to 24 lbs now. She's in 12 month pants still. But has always been small and eats like a horse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It could be, but more likely than not, she's probably just petite. I teach Spanish to the pre-schoolers at a daycare and 2 of the girls in the class are sisters (Irish twins). The older one looks completely average for a 5 year old. Her sister is SOOOO tiny and petite! She's 4 and weighs maybe 25-30 pounds when wet!!! It all depends on their genes. Unless you have seen the kid being denied food or anything of that nature, I'd say she's probably fine :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• it does sound tiny, but i have a 2 1/2 yr old boy who is 36 lbs... so i'm no help lol
    try googling a growth chart for girls that has percentiles and such. the kind doctors use.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 3:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• According to CDC's percentile weight chart for girls, her weight is <3rd percentile, which is extremely low. Is she extremely petite for the pediatrician to not be too concerned? I'm wondering if your SIL is lying about her pediatrician's remarks.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009