I'm concerned because my 24 month old son, while he understands a lot, babbles all the time and can only say a few words. He doesn't talk like other kids his age. Anyone else in the same boat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am. My son is behind on speech, his ped recommended an early intervention which we had about 3 months ago. They determined that while he was behind on speech, he excelled in other areas and said he did not qualify, which was good news, however, its been 3 more months and although he's picked up a few more words, he is definitely still behind. I think we may need another evaluation.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• yup and out off water mama.. i try to get him to but he doesnt seem to want to.. you have to really hear some of the words even when hes on a talking roll.. i was thinking about geting some flashcards and do some of my own that we have in the house so he will start maybe.. LOL
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 1:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• oh.. we are only 21m old..
    ArlieBeeMee

• You may want to ask his ped about early intervention. With my boys, they were all behind on speech and we got them in a speech therapy program. The therapist would come to our home and work with them one day a week. It worked wonders and they have all stopped seeing the therapist. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i also would recommend a referral to early intervention. Even if your ped doesn't think it's necessary, I would push for it. If he is 25% or more behind in speech he qualifies in most states, even if he is ahead in other areas. My daughter was exactly 25% behind in speech at 15 months, even though in all other areas she was right on target. The people at early intervention told me they didn't recommend any therapy, but she qualified and I pushed for it and got it. She had speech once/week for an hour from 15 months until she turned 3 - and she had the clearest speech of any child I've ever heard when she finished. It was beautiful!

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would definitely get your child evaluated. In most states you do not need a physician's referral to do it. My daughter who was 26 months at the time she was tested, tested ahead in most areas but only at 12 months for speech (no real words). She is now in state funded program twice a week and I am very happy with how things are going. She has only recently started, but the therapist seems very knowledgeable and in tune to my daughter. We have found out that she is not moving her tongue or lips correctly when she talks and tries to make sounds. She has recently started making more sounds, but is incorrect in how she makes the sounds so we must be careful not to reinforce bad habits.
    You need to have your child evaluated to see exactly what his delay is. He could just be a slow talker and will blow your mind in a few months... or he could need additional help. Either way, you will better once you know for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2009