• In the Spotlight:

Is it bad that I can't tell my baby's cries apart?

I've read so many moms who say they know what each cry means. I mean, I can tell when it's a "I just want you to hold me" cry and when it's a serious cry, but not any specifics...like hungry, wet, etc.

Is that a bad thing? It kind of makes me feel slightly on the bad mom side that I cant tell. Any other moms can't tell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After my first I started to figure it out, ok maybe my second, but with my first nope I didn't. I don't think it makes you a bad mom, it is very scary having a child-Just try to enjoy every minute you they grow up so quick.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• no.. there freakn messing with you.. yes you know which baby is yours, and the ol "mama" out of the crowd.. but you have to guess the rest of the time.. no worries mama.. and dont let some others tell you that you arnt doing a good job, you are doing fine..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 1:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• it took me MONTHS to figure it out. to me, i could tell the difference when she began to evolve a personality. in the beginning, and for a long time, it was the same cry for everything. babies are all different and it could just be that your baby is developing subtleties that are too nuanced to pick up yet. before you know it, you'll know your baby's sounds as if they were your own.

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• heck no. I can barely tell with my DD and she's 5 mos. I just barely started to be able to tell her hungry cry. It's hard.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It'll come. When I first got home it all sounded the same to me but hubby knew right off! how the heck, ya know?! I felt bad at first but when he went back to work and did less with the baby and I was moving around more and paying more attention to her rather than sharing the attention, I started to tell the difference more. Plus he was a music major, so I think having an ear trained to hear different sounds helped him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I can tell what my LO want's......most of the....well,....some of.....no, wait......well, occasionally I know what she wants....now that she is one!!! LOL

Don't feel bad AT ALL!!! I felt the exact same way!!! I had a problem with gas when she was about ...maybe a month old. I SO didn't know what I was doing. We got past that. Then I think we hit a growth spirt and still, I was trying to figure out this cry thing. I was SOOO frustrated. I even went on You tube to see if I could find the different cries. I never got it. Not until she got older...like maybe closer to 6 or 8 months. I mean, I new when she would be hungry and I would always check her diaper and I could tell a painful cry after she had her first few shots :( but other than that, I was clueless. You are a great momma to be so concerned. You will be fine!! Enjoy these times!! :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Please don't feel bad at all! I could tell the diference between an "in pain" cry (she scratched herself once) a "hold me"/"I'm tired" cry and the I need something cry. But her crys didn't become distinct until much later, and now at 10 mos I make her use words (kinda).
    Just trust your instincts and all will be well
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i may have been able to tell some of the time but more often than not, it was process of elimination... don't feel bad.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 2:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have had 3 and one on the way and never have been able to tell what the cries mean. I just always check the diaper then bf'd them when they cried. Now that they are 5, 4, and 2 I know which cry means I'm seriously hurt and which one is fake but that's it.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• lol...nope you're not bad at all!

it was only really with my third that I started clueing into the different cries.

now that they're older I can tell an Ow I need attention cry, My sister's pissing me off cry, I'm HURT AND BLEEDING cry.....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009