Is it normal to get your period while nursing?

This is my second child and within the first two months of nursing him, I've gotten my period each month. I mentioned it to my OB and he (very dismissively) said it probably had something to do with placental placement and said not to worry. But, I didn't get it with my daughter and I nursed her. I think this is weird....

shesadiva

Asked by shesadiva at 11:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started having my period 8 weeks post partum despite EBF
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Usually, Exclusive breastfeeding will cause you to not ovulate, thus causing you not to have a period. Exclusive breastfeeding means feeding your baby on demand (not by the clock), waking to feed during the night, avoiding all supplimental bottles, and not using paci's or anything.

If all of that is true, you *should* be lucky enough to avoid your period. Of course, not everyone is that lucky. My period returned at different times with my 4 different boys.
    3 months, 9 months, 14 months, and 4 months. With the last one I had my tubes tied, which can make a difference with your period returning as well.

wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I know lots of women who said their period came back while they were still breastfeeding.
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2008