What do you think Euodias and Syntyche disagreed on?

Its in Philippians 4:2. The bible doesn't talk about it much. I'm sometimes reminded of this when I see disagreements in here. I don't think it was scripture right?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 1:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• oh funny....I just read this after someone in a group posted about it! This is such a powerpacked scripture. Im sure they were disagreeing on things of the Lord but look at what Peter said and urged the others to do. He urged others to help these two ladies to not continue fighting. Peter loved them so much and it ached to see the fight between them. This is how we are to be in church.. instead of belittling or what not when people fight , help them through it and love them anyway!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Paul I mean ahh lol
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Philippians 4
    Think of Excellence
    1Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved. 2I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to live in harmony in the Lord. 3Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. 4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Shaneagle777

• He calls us his joy and crown... wow love it... God also sees us as His joy and crown too, He sees us as His precious ones and His heart breaks when His children fight! See how Paul says my joy and crown to all including the fighting women?? He does not call them negative names but speaks life over them... He exhorts and uplifts... he does not put down or tear down but encourages each to help and he blessed and honors as well! See how he said these two contended for the gospel at my side.. He honored them for what they DID do not what they DIDNT do! So much nicer dont you think?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't know. LOL. I just looked it up in the good ole Matthew Henry Commentary and he says, "either upon a civil account (it may be they were engaged in a law-suit) or upon a religious account-it may be they were of different opinions and sentiments."

Who knows, I think the important part is how it says to tell them to be of the same mind. I like this because when we have a conflict with someone we want them to see "our side" and they want us to see "their side" -- and that is the problem. So how can they be of the same mind? If they both choose to see things from "God's side" -- this is how to have unity without compromising truth.

I personally think this was nothing like what has been going on here. I think Euodias and Syntyche actually had a normal conflict. But what is happening on here is not really a normal conflict; it is an irrational conflict -- it is worse IMO. It can't be fixed the same way.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "See how Paul says my joy and crown to all including the fighting women?? He does not call them negative names but speaks life over them... He exhorts and uplifts... he does not put down or tear down but encourages each to help and he blessed and honors as well! See how he said these two contended for the gospel at my side.. He honored them for what they DID do not what they DIDNT do! So much nicer dont you think?"

Wow, Shan. Your analysis is so rich! Thank you for sharing that. I just love how you pulled that from this verse. Wow.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• "Euodia I exhort and Syntyche I exhort to be of the same mind in [the] Lord". Ahh, but he was talking to two committed Christain women (not to all and every woman) and ones that were stubbornly holding grudges against one another. To disagree and debate is exciting and often very helpful. Sometimes you don't know your own mind until someone questions you over it. But I get the point. Spite and bitterness for it's own sake is very weak and unloving and speaks volumes about those who do it and nought about who their remarks are aimed at. You can tell a lot about someone from how they argue (I think). xxx
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 10:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2009