My 2 Year old and food!!!

How do i get my 2 year old to eat healthier? He loves fruit but he wont eat veggies and the only thing he like to drink is apple juice which i mix half water. I need help we always have to fix something totally different then what we fix for dinner!!!

RCPerry511

Asked by RCPerry511 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 1/2 yo old will only eat corn and potatoes. He'll eat broccoli with cheese - lots of cheese and he LOVES salad with cheese and french dressing. The only way I can get him to eat any other food is by making it in something else. For example, I'll make tatortot hotdish (1lb ground beef, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can green beans and tatortots - cheap :D) and he eats it right up. I sometimes put carrots or celery in my meatloaf. Things like that. Sneaking is one of the only ways at this age :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• only make one meal...i had the same problem with our eleven year old...the ONLY thing i would do an exception on was the veggies...she doesnt like peas but LOVES green beans...so on nights when we had peas she could have her small can of green beans...it was perfect...but as far as the meat and taters she eat what she was given, the only diff was she didnt have to finish it.. Its too much hassle and a waste of food to make more than one meal...if your son doesnt like veggies at all try to find ways to sneak it into his diet...one way is to put pureed squash into mac n cheese...its undetecable and has no flavor, so he will never know! there are other ways to sneak veggies in, v8 makes a smoothie drink that also has a serviing of veggies, he can drink that just water it down...as long as he gets SOME hes okay!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• eat any other *vegetable* - sorry Mommy Brain. :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Quit being a short-order cook! Mine either eats what I fix or she has to wait until the next meal. also, you can hide veggies in just about anything.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• He use to not be picky but he will only eat, chicken, any kind of fruit. patatoes, hot dogs, grilled cheese, PB&J, HE HATES MAC AND CHEESE, (ive never heard of a kid who don't like that) i just hope he grows out of it, cause its so frustrating
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It's that age. My kids like rice, so I get those 90 second Uncle Ben rice things. But seriously cheese is AWESOME..you could sneak veggies into his grilled cheese sandwiches..the key is sneakiness. LOL. I bet parenting.com would have some good recipes for picky eaters, in fact I'm almost positive they do :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't cook a 2nd meal. Offer a wide variety of fruits if he'll eat those. Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook out - I think it's called Deceptively Delicious that has all kinds of recipes where they sneak in veggies - even in things like brownies! I keep meaning to pick it up when I'm at Barnes & Noble, she was on Oprah with it not too long ago.
    My 8 year old daughter doesn't eat very many veggies either. She knows she can have what we're eating or she can go hungry - it usually means she will eat what we're having. I just make sure she eats a lot of different fruits, healthy snacks, and a daily vitamin.
    Have you tried giving him veggies that he can "dip"? My kids liked to dip at that age - in ranch, in sour cream, in ketchup, etc.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have Deceptively Delicious and it is awesome! I've learned how to sneak squash into muffins (I swear you can't tell they are healthy), spinach into brownies (HAVE to let them cool or you can taste it slightly), and cauliflower into chicken nuggets and cheese sticks! I found my copy for $5.00 at TJ Maxx. I bet you can get it from your local library and then pick the recipes that sound good to you.
    My son wouldn't touch a veggie to save his life before this book came into our lives. He would eat any kind of fruit. Now he eats everything, but only because I sneak it in there. You're supposed to still offer the veggies, even if they just sit there on the plate. But, I'm not nagging him, and worrying about his health. That's a big bonus!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• MY DD IS 2 AND SHE DOENST EAT AT ALL I MEAN SHE HAS ONE MEAL ADAY AND THATS ALL SHE EATS .I GET SO FRUSTRATED.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son won't eat anything either.... except veggie chicken nuggets and garden burgers. Try those? Or spaghetti sauce? I also started using krazy ketchup which he loves.

It doesn't last. My 5 year old started eating more veggies at 3, then more at 4 and now at 5 she'll try different stuff.

It's a known issue in the medical field. Humans have exponentially more taste buds on their tongue when they are born. they drastically go away as you get older. We are disposed to love sweet things because that is safer. Sour items mean poison to babies (learned all this from dr. oz). So as long as you're getting fruite in and consistently trying veggies, kids catch on.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2009