History channel

So the History channel has been running a lot of shows on diffrent religions this week. Have you caught any of them? Which ones? Do you think the shows gave accurate unbiased information?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I currently do not have Cable.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We usually watch the history channel, but haven't lately as we've been busy here. I wasn't aware of the series going on. Will have to check it out or look online for the episodes i missed.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• SHOOT! I wish I would've known that earlier. I love learning about different religions. I think it's really neat to have worldly knowledge especially since I was raised Christian and I was really sheltered. I've always had an interest in learning more about the Hindi's religion especially.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I think they are having more on tonight, not 100%sure though. I really enjoyed the one they had about zeus last night. It was all about his rise to power and it showed the sights where they say certain things happened and the shrine that has the rock that people have always claimed was the rock Chrones swollowed thinking it was Zeus. It was really neat. They even explained what happened with mother nature at the time that all this was going on causing people to think that the gods where battling it out.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I love the history channel, but don't have it. I will check it out online though they usually post their shows. However the ones I have watched are usually 95% accurate or better. They don't rely on any one person for their research, they use many experts from the fields they are talking about. And are usually right on target!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I haven't seen them, been ridiculously busy around here too. Overall, though, I find most of their shows are accurate but simplified. I've watched a lot of other shows they've done about the Vikings or early Europe that touch on Heathenry in passing, and they tend to overgeneralize things. I'll have to see if they do one on the Northern Europe religions without treating them all as one or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• dang...i hate when i miss religion stuff on the History Channel. i always forget to check b/c most of the time its ufo stuff or some show of theirs that has nothing to do with history haha. thanks for the heads up!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I recorded 2 from last night I only got to watch the one though. I am hoping that I will get time to watch the other one tonight. I love the programs, and I have never really thought they where biased or anything. I have heard a few people say they where though so I thought I would put it out there. And have a fun friendly no drama post is great too!

I do enjoy that they are a little oversimplified because my 6 year old can watch them with me (after I watch them to see if they get to graffic with pics)
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Honestly, I don't really like the ones I have seen about Christianity. Sorry ; ( I personally have yet to see one segment on Christianity that I agree with theologically OR historically

I think they are entertaining, but I almost feel like they are sensationalizing things. Some programs have felt like the "TMZ for Historical Figures" (Entertainment Lastnight or Access Babylon). Exploring important issues like "Did Jesus hook up with Mary?" or "Was Mary really a virgin or did Joseph get played?"

I do think it can be interesting and I have no problem exploring other ideas. But personally, I don't think they give enough time to mainstream beliefs. The "experts" they interview are usually very liberal theologians who rarely represent what mainstream theologians and Christians believe. So honestly, I have felt that they misrepresent the faith.

I'm sorry. JMHO, please don't hate me or throw your cookies at me! J/k ; )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Havent noticed anything religion oriented as Ive browsed channels except the Hitler and Occult thing the other night(didnt watch it).

I enjoy the history channel tho.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009