My almost 5-year-old won't sleep. HELP!

Three weeks ago someone pulled the fire alarm for our building and it terrified my daughter. Now she doesn't sleep at night AT ALL. She doesn't get into a deep sleep--she is up every half-hour crying, begging to come in our bed, wanting "snuggles" etc. I am exhausted and don't know what to do! I have reassured her SO many times, I've done a calming bedtime routine, I've left lights on, I've given her a body pillow to snuggle with... I could go on... any tips on how to get her to sleep through the night in her own bed again? Last night was a NIGHTMARE--I spent like 4 hours awake between constantly walking her back to her room and letting her cry. It's really straining things between my husband and I, too, as we are short-tempered and tired. She sleeps during nap time at daycare, though--so her batteries are "recharged" daily, while ours are not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sound like she's super sensative. First have a full physical done on her. Her eardrums may have been effected by the noise and it may only bother her when she's trying to sleep.
    Does she know what the alarm is for? That's it's a warning to keep you safe and can't hurt you? Have you asked her why she can't sleep?
    If nothing works you might try counseling? I know it seems silly but some kids need more help in dealing with things then others. There are counselors who specialize in helping kids learn coping skills.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would let her sleep with you for a few nights until she feels a little more safe and then explain what the alarm is for.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 3:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009