Close Spaced Siblings!

Hey ladies! I have a 9 month old boy and my husband and I have been talking about trying for another one soon. I want my children to be spaced close together so they'll be closer in age and also that they might get along better??
Whats your opinion on this?
Are your children close in age?
Do you think it makes a difference?

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • I'm not sure about then being that close together in age if that makes a difference, sometimes having them that close makes them jealous of each other and then again can make them close it's all on how you handle it as their mom, i think its up to you really!! good luck
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• " so they'll be closer in age and also that they might get along better?? Whats your opinion on this?"

Heh heh...it's a nice theory. Haven't seen it WORK in practice...familiarity breeds contempt. **grin**

"Are your children close in age?"

Hubby and his sibs are 18 months apart on each side, which is what you're looking at. He ALWAYS hated his older brother. Tolerates his sister but that comes and goes. He's a lot closer to his younger half brother, who is more than a decade younger.

I know my dad was closest to his decade-younger sister than to his brother who was two years younger. (Two years between each kid in dad's family.)

"Do you think it makes a difference?"

All of the above said...it's the PARENTING. Not the age difference. If you bring them up to be close, they will be. It won't just happen because of their age spacing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My youngest two are 18 months apart. The first year was very hard. I felt like I was walking around in a fog the entire time. But after that it has been great. They are 18months and three years now and are the best of friends. Mark the older one is always helping "his" baby.
    I think it helped that they were so close together in ages for sleep routines and nap times. Now that the baby is older he can play with Mark and they are too cute together.
    If you are up for the first year being difficult I say go for it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my daughter is six months old, and were thinking the same thing. We want are children close in age, were both excited about it. Am curious what other people think to! To me its not that big of a deal, me and my brother were close in age and are very close.
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 1:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well mine are 11 months apart and they still fight like cats and dogs sometimes. It's just normal to do that. I don't think it has anything to do with age on whether they will fight, be closer, etc. I agree with PP, It's parenting and the environment you raise them in :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 25 yo, 21 yo, 17 yo. I have a sibling who is one year older than me and was one grade above me. that was hell to be a grade behind them!!! My kids were and are the closest and best friends from when they were little. Alot of how close kids feel to each other and grow up to be is if respect for each of their times with their own friends is followed through on preschool age and up. Plus I never allowed bullying between them or to others, from others. Disagreements, arguments yes but no bullying. No physical fights either - arguments in words instead of physical fights.

Focus on what you can do to help each know their worth separately and together often. Bonding will come from that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i dont have kids, but i always got along with my sister who is 2 years older than me as compared to my other sisters who are much older. However, now we both are married, we live in different countries, have different lives. i am much closer to one of my older sisters now..! i think relationships evolve and change all the time.
    Debrex

Answer by Debrex at 2:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My mom had 3 kids in 3 years, 18 months between each of us. That said, my sis and I have fought like cats and dogs most of our lives (over 40 years each) and she is 18 months younger than I am. we are finally raching a point in our lives where we can get along for an entire afternoon, but we now live 800 miles apart. LOL My brother is 3 years younger than I am and we get along great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My kids are 2 years apart...I agree the first year was very hard dealing with an infant and 2 year old, the 2nd year was easier, but now that they are 4.5 (DD) and 2.5 (DS) I can't take the fighting! OMG! BUT, when they are not fighting they are eachother's best friends and it is the greatest thing... I'm hoping in another year when my little guy is a bit older and less of an animal, lol, the fighting will lessen a bit.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my older boys are 17 mos apart, my middle and second son are 2 1/2 years apart. the oldest and middle get along a lot better but honestly i believe that is because of their personalities and it has very little to do with how close they are in age but that is just my opinion. :D
    threeboysmama

Answer by threeboysmama at 2:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009