Has anyone been affected by Identity Theft or Fraud?

anz2008

Asked by anz2008 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• My SO's brother in law is runnign around right now with his name and SS#.
    My SO got pulled over and arrested one night for failure to appear, while sitting in holding (very confused by the way) waiting for me to come bail him out, HE WAS PULLED OVER AGAIN!!!
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son found out this year, when he filed his taxes, that someone used his social security number and claimed him as a dependent on their taxes. And my best friend's daughter had her driver's license number stolen and checks made up in her name - they were writing bogus checks at WalMarts all over Arkansas with her name on them - and we live in the Western part of Texas. The cops caught them though. Other than that - that's it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had signed up online for this pre paid debit card and i havent used this card at all i cut it up and that was it last week i get this call sayin that i owe this cash loan place $600 dollars and that i was to be picked up and taken to court the next day and if i was found guilty i was gonna owe in fee and legal stuff over $12,000.00. Well i called the FTC and i found out it was a scam the bad thing is that they have my name ss address birth date phone number and today i go to checking account number and i have a $99 fee taken out and got charged an overdraft of 35 so now im in the hole found out to that this was a scam what in the hell am i gonna do now i have filed cpmplaints with everyone
    anz2008

Answer by anz2008 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes we have been dealing with this for 2 years and are still dealing with it. It has cost us a ton of money. Get a good atty
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• LAdies that is SCARY!! I am so glad that it has not happened to me. People always say it won't happen to them :( and then it does. I'm sorry to hear what yall are going through.
    The home business that I have is launching a plan Nationwide in Sept called Secure Net and it offers Legal Services, Financial Services, Identity Theft Protection and Restoration, Credit Repair. And it's NOT just for your SSN, it covers EVERYTHING. the program is ONLY $24.95 a month.
    I have access to it no because I am a Broker with the company. Let me know if you guys want some info and I'd be happy to share it with you.
    Good Luck with everything, God Bless.
    ChristinaLDennis@gmail.com
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 4:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Kinda. My bank acceidently gave my bank account number to someone else that was just opening an account. So, one day all my information was changed in the account, and then I couldn't get any money out... Then it was overdrawn! It was horrid and I had to go through hell trying to proove things!

And then there was the ex that ran up all my credit cards, joined book, music and DVD clubs in my name and then disappeared leaving me all the bills!

So, nothing HUGE, but even the minor stuff sucks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yes. It was for $125 and charged to a debit card by phone to Verizon. How they managed to do this without a pin no one there knew. We ended up filing forms with our local police department, going to our bank, closing the account, putting stops on all activity, getting something signed, going back tthe the police, getting something signed, then going to the bank again. We ended up paying an insufficient funds fee on one of the checks even though we had given the bank the checks to let through. A hassle, but the bank did credit us our $125.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009