Halloween/Dia De Los Muertos/Samhain...how do you celebrate with your children?

I am doing some research and was curious to know how each of you celebrate this festive holiday. Do you continue family traditions and what are they exactly? Favorite dinners/snacks/desserts you serve? What does this holiday mean for you personally and for your children?

Thank you for your replies, and Please refrain from bashing here. You are welcome to share your opinions against these holidays but please keep your responses peaceful.

Blessings!

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 2:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• On Samhain- I do a simple prayer/ritual and make a simple dinner with many of the harvested foods we have..
    For the Halloween part... I dress up our little man (this yr of 8...lol...) and take him trick-n-treating for the 2 hrs our town allows it...dh gets to stay home and pass out candy and some of his friends may stop by to help him...
    November first I make a very nice meal for my family, do a home blessing, start taking the Halloween stuff down (leaving Fall items up) and start planning YULE & Christmas... LOL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have a big party for my kids. We bake all kinds of cookies, one year I made almond finger cookies with the nail imprint, they turned out pretty cool. I didn't really need to ice them but it was fun making them with the kids. We celebrate Samhain and we leave our light on and food and drink outside for the spirits who may pass by that evening. This year will be my first Samhain ritual wiith my kids as my children are now old enough to participate. I decorate the most for this holiday as fall is my favorite season, and this is my most favorite of the harvest festivals.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We don't celebrate halloween. We know the real meaning behind it and choose not to honor it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• anon :26...I'd like to know what your "meaning behind it " is if you don't mind sharing. I will respect your beliefs, just curious to know what it is to you personally. thank you.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We have no parties yet but I dress up in costume along with my kids and we take them out trick or treating. My sister, her hubby and kids and my brother and his GF all get together for Halloween. It's just a fun time and we look forward to it. We are looking for costumes and decorations already. We love Halloween.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Halloween is just a secular holiday for us. The kid goes trick or treating and we don't really do anything else. We have Winter Nights earlier in the month, and I keep them separate, though some people just wait and combine it with Halloween.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Check this out...

Meaning of Halloween

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• well we've only celebrated one Halloween. my DD was a pumpkin & DH & i just dressed up to hand out candy. we figured the last thing we need is to go collect candy haha

we also have a Halloween dinner the Sunday before Halloween at my moms house. she buys silly decorations & we eat chili that she's hidden "body parts" in haha. its usually fake fingers & eyeballs. she also makes little baskets full of candy.

Halloween has no meaning to us...its just an excuse to dress up & eat candy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks for sharing that link Christine! that was interesting and quite comical too at the end. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We go trick-or-treating....nothing else. I've visited a few "Haunted Houses" and such, but i wont take my daughter until she's a teen.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009