My son, at 24 months, is receiving all kinds of therapies...Speech and Occupational and an Educator also works with him. Has anyone else been in this same position, and if so, what has the outcome been like? Have there been any positive changes? The Educator and the Occupational Therapist are both thrilled with his progress, so my main concern is his speech.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does the ST give you stuff to work on at home? It sounds like you're doing everything right. I LIVE for parents like you (I'm an OT) who give two hoots about their kids. I mean, I can only do so much a time or two a week, you know? Glad to know that he is making such good progress. Starting him with therapies now will save him lots of hard work and frustration in the future when his peers might be so far beyond he might get discouraged. The kids that I've worked with who were started early don't need therapy for as long a duration as the kids who were started late. Sometimes by a year or two as opposed to 3 or 4. You are awesome! Stick with it and DO NOT GIVE UP! You are your son's biggest advocate! Congrats to you both.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We had our son in PT and OT and he went to special ed for kindergarden. He has made tremendous progress. Not sure what you are wanting to know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My 9 year old son was diagnosed with what they told me was "moderate to severe autism and possible mental retardation" at 18 months. So yes, he was involved in all kinds of therapies. He is now 9 years old, classified AG in a regular classroom with tons of friends. If you met him, you would not know he has any disability. He hasn't received any therapy since kindergarten where he was getting 1/2 speech/week.
    Hang in there - it's worth it.

Answer by missanc at 2:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I guess I wanted to know if there's hope. My son has progressed tremendously in the past two and a half months, due to active engagement on my part in the therapy. I am just out-of-my-mind concerned about his speech. It is encouraging for me to see that children like mind can be mainstreamed.
    CVRsmommy

Answer by CVRsmommy at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My daughter had those services from 3-4 ..so she was a little older. But she is 9 now and an A and B student WITH perfect conduct :-) Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My two year old doesn't talk yet. We are teaching him Sign language which is helping he is saying sounds now. Contact your local Child Development Services. That's what I did. My kids all talked around three.. Sign Language is a wonderful thing!!!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009