My Dr. won't listen! Am I overreacting?

I am 26 weeks. This is my second baby. My first one just turned 1. I have been having contractions. Real, painful contractions. The reason I do not go to the ER is because they are not regular and they come and go. It happens every day for HOURS at a time. They wake me up at night, or don't let me actually get to sleep. No cervical changes. I am having a lot of stress right now, but I did with my last pregnancy too. More with my last one then with my current one. I was also diagnosed with PID between my pregnancies becuase of my IUD, which was subsequentally removed. Every time I go to the Dr. I tell her about them, or at least I try to, and all she says is that are normal and rushes me out. Right now they are regular, painful and every 7 mins apart. I called my OB and she gave me and appt for tomorrow. Am I just being stupid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no your not being stupid...but i have to say what your dr is saying IS normal...your brackston hicks can be very painful sometimes...especially if you are dehydrated at all..try drinking more water and see if that helps...and try to relax...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Contractions that are regular should be checked immediately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No, I dont think you are overreacting, the dr might think you are having braxton hicks, but you still need to be careful. If they are regular I would call them again and tell them then go to L&D so they can monitor you and give you meds to stop the contractions IF they are true contractions.

Drink lots of fluids, one of the number one reasons for early contractions is dehydration.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't think you are being stupid, but I can tell you that I had the same thing happening around my 25th week and continuing through till now. BH contractions hurt worse than the "real" beginning contractions I'm having now! They were sometimes very regular, especially when I would get under a lot of stress. My doctor told me to put my feet up, drink lots of water and remove any stress until the contractions got further and further apart. If they have checked everything out, and did an u/s I wouldn't worry too much about it. The stress and possible dehydration are probably more to blame than anything! Good luck hon!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No constant issue you go through is a reason to think you are stupid. She is willing to see you tomorrow and that's a good thing. Tell her you are considering finding a new doctor because she isn't willing to listen to you as much as you'd like. She probably won't like it but hey, no one knows you and your body better than you.

Write out the pattern of contractions, what your pain scale is and how long they last. Let her know this is nothing new to you, it's been going on for awhile and the pain has not subsided. If you are in labor and I'm sure you know this you may be admitted and given magnesium sulfate by IV to stop the labor. Better to have that then to risk losing a baby because she is in a hurry and won't listen to your needs.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OK, thanks guys! I am going to go drink more water and maybe take a nap and see if that helps! Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I forgot to mention drinking water. It slows my contractions down and makes it easier to rest. Drink lots of water.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If they keep getting closer together call your doctor and tell her you are on your way to the ER. When I had a lot of pain in my back with this pregnancy and the doctor said I was fine that's what I did and I ended up having a blod clot in my placenta. Seriously if it gets worse take it into your own hands.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• a midwife would listen and pay attention to your concerns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• They are probably Braxton hicks contractions I have had 7 kids and with each pregnancy they get worse.

If there is no cervical change I wouldn't worry just take it easy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009