How do I show my boy its the potty is not scary

My little boy is two and a half and I decided to start potty training after he started telling me when he had to pee. We kinda started out slow and just getting him to know what the potty is and everything. He tell me he had to pee, so we would sit on the potty chair for a good 5 to 10 minutes until he would get bored and want to get up. I started taking the advice from a friend and let him go with no pull up on. When he needs to go he lets me know and we sit on the potty, and he is fine. But when it comes down to it and time to pee he starts crying and asking for a pull up. I think he is so close to doing it I just need to let him know that it is not scary peeing in the potty, im just not sure how to go about this. any ideas??

aclarkyy

Asked by aclarkyy at 2:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he isn't ready.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 2:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Has he seen you or your S/O use the toilet? Maybe if he saw someone else do it then he wouldn't be so scared.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Does he watch you? Do you use the real toilet or a potty chair? Books seem to help a lot. He may just need time or to see someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Try things to distract him on the potty like his favorite books, or sing the alphabet or songs he likes. Then when he uses it use a reward. My daughter was stickers, small ones for pee big ones for poop. We used the same tactic at my pre school.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Maybe try taking him to store where he can pick out his own training potty. Something fun that he'll want to sit on.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009