Help me use up a ton of red apples!?

Unfortunately they are the Red Delicious brand which I am learning do not make great apple pies. Do you have any other great recipes or have you used them in a pie anyway and had it turn out ok?
Please let me know! I would love to have something yummy for dessert tonight.
Thanks ladies for always savin my butt! lol.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I have used them for pies and they were good. Just cut the sugar in the recipe so it isn't too sweet. Red delicious makes a wonderful apple wine too.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I too use the Delicious variety for apple pies...they are more watery, so I mix them with McIntosh's to cut down on the "juice" and add more sweetness than the more tart macs.

You can also make apple cinnamon bread, muffins, and cakes which can then be frozen and thawed when you want. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Apple muffins, pancakes....you could make applesauce with them. Homemade applesauce is so good
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Applesauce. Apple cake. Apple muffins. Apple pancakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If you have a lot, then I'd recommend making applesauce and freezing or canning it. That would use up a lot. I use Delicious apples in pies and cobblers. I prefer to make cobblers because they don't require dealing with a pie shell. You just heat the apples with cinnamon and sugar (I use the microwave) and a little flour, then put together the cobbler topping: 1 stick butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla
    (I use less butter or even oil), and bake.

Answer by Bmat at 3:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• cook and freeze them

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Apple sauce is a good idea! you can use apple sauce for all kinds of thing. I even learned recently that it makes a good oil sub in baking. Who knew? No me obviously. lol.

I have used them for pie. As another poster mentioned, I just cut the sugar some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009