Great sleeper has turned into a non-sleeper.

My son (21 months old) has gone from a great sleeper (10-11 hours at night and 1.5-2hour nap) to a non sleeper in the last couple days. . . He has no fever or signs of pain. He is teething but usually oragel or tylenol and he is fine. The last few days he will wake up 2-3 hours after he is put down for bed and will continue to cry unless he is held/rocked or in our bed. also there are no naps unless he is in the car while we are running errands. We've tried rocking him and putting him back in bed, sleeping in our bed until he falls asleep and then moving him, "Cry it out" all with no results . . any other suggestions?

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he able to communicate with you? At this age I'd be thinking scary dreams or maybe shadows might be scaring him at night Does he use a night light? Molar might be coming in which are much more painful than the other teeth. It's really hard to say.

I would also think infection. My daughter wouldn't sleep well when she got ear infections, but had no temp and acted normal during the day. When he sleeps in your bed, is he propped up a bit? If so, does laying him flat in your bad make him worse? As that could be an ear infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks for answering Annon. Here is a little more info in response to your post. Chris does communicate somewhat. . . He knows ouchie for something hurting but doesn't have a word for scary yet (though he does have many many other words). I haven't checked the second set of molars, first set are in, but I know he is cutting his canines and we use oragel and Tylenol for that. As far as scary he doesn't act like it. His cry is more of a complaint instead of a startle or pain. There hasn't been any changes in his or with his nightlight to cause a strange or scary shadow. Right now he is sleeping flat in his bed and in our bed. He will be a little active/chatty when we bring him in but will soon fall asleep. His crying seems to stop the moment I pick him up or cuddle him. I was thinking separation anxiety but he is calm when I leave the room or am out of sight. I am at a loss.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• that shouls say "changes in his room or with his night light. . ." sorry brain moving faster than fingers
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009