How can I take my 6 year old kid out of the PC games?

He gets good marks at school, but he gets far too obsessed with the games

How long should he spend at the PC daily?

Thanks, help

happymom384

Asked by happymom384 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh my lord, I have an 11 year old that is the SAME way.. I limit his play time on games in general to an hour an day and use it as a good grade tool or good behavior tool. Anymore then that he gets angry when he has to get off.. Glad I'm not the only one!!!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Make pc/video game time a privilege that he earns by doing simple things, chores, good behavior in school, etc etc.. Say he get 5-10 mins of game time for each small chore he does, maybe 15 for big chores. If he does incredibly well in school for a week maybe give him 30 minutes of extra free game play (pc or gaming system his choice..) .. If you just allow him to become so engaged in it it really does become an addicting thing especially for a child so young.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My Son is a 7 y.o. addict, lol. He too excels in school. Now that it's summer he isn't playing them as much but when the cold months hit there really isn't much to do so it's a catch 20 kind of thing.

You're not alone I too feel like I should tell him to go read a book but he does that and I think kids need an outlet. So as long as he's not doing it from sun up to sun down, I say have fun.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We have a daily hour limit for computer and TV combined.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• In our house, Video games (be it PC, gamboy, playstation whatever) and tv are ONLY for rainy days or days when they cannot play outside. They are also not allowed video games or TV during the school year. Except for PBS, they can watch that basically as often as they want.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Mines loves them too---it's good for some down-time and also some of them can be very educational if you help chose them (he doesn't play anything I haven't approved). I agree with the "hour" answer. It is a bad habit that will only get worse as he gets older and by then you may have a real problem on your hands.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009