Is this true?

I have been job searching since my current job is relocating and I was hoping for a better job. My friend called me in the middle of my search and told me that my odds of getting a descent job are slim, considering I don't have a lot of family or friends. I do have friends but none that really know anything. I know that knowing people is a benefit to getting a job but she said my chances are almost nonexistent since I don't have a lot of connections.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, it is NOT true. While connections CAN be helpful, PROFESSIONAL connections are the ones that count. Not social connections.

And even so...you can get a job WITHOUT connections. More than half of my jobs involved no connections at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Totally true in my case. I lost my job last summer (I worked for a construction company) and my DH told his boss about it the day it happened. Well that night he and his neighbor were talking and DH's boss told his friend about my plight, turns out he was a GM at a sign shop. Now I have been with them since a week after my lay-off. I didn't even have to apply for unemployment. But if you are skilled-meaning a degree or certification-you should be ok. Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i've been looking for a job for 6 months full time, i just gave up. the market is terrible.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• For every job opening there are atleast 6 people looking at the same one!
    I think it is doubled now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• In our case, it has depended a lot on the profession you are in. I am a nurse. I can get a job pretty easily. All of my jobs have been cold contacts. My husband has a business/info systems degree with an emphasis on networking security. It took him 3 years to get a job and this was starting in summer of 2001, so not even the current economic climate. The next three jobs, including his current job, he got through social/professional connections.
    Mom_2_Boyz

Answer by Mom_2_Boyz at 3:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• No it's not true. It helps but that doesn't mean your chances are nonexistent. I got an interview at the first place I applied at and got the job without having connections. If you have the skills you should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• ^^^I'm in the healthcare field by the way, administrative side.
    Anonymous