My mother wants to use my name to get an RV home and am very uncomfortable with her doing that. How can I explain this to her and make her understand without ruining our relationship?

Okay, my mother has horrible credit and I can't ever remember a time when she was good at managing money. I am going through a divorce and I want to move in with her (with my 13m\o son) and go to school. I'll be able to collect my G.I. Bill and recieve about $1700 dollars a month for housing while I am attending school to become a nurse. I have no problem helping her pay the bills and such while I'm staying with her. I just need to get on my feet and I have no where else to go. Anyway, I'm very frustrated right now because she knows that I'm thinking about the big picture, trying to get and keep my credit straight so that once I graduate from school and get a nursing job, I'll be able to get a home for myself and my son. She's telling me that becasue her credit is so bad she wants to use my name to get a motor home. I think that she's wrong for even asking me this. If something goes wrong or she doesn't pay it's on me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I would say NO WAY! Sorry mom, but you have ruined your credit there is no way you will ruin mine.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Of course, there's much more to this story than I was able to put on here but the main problem is that she's trying to use my name to purchase a home. Granted, I'll be living with her for a while but after I'm gone, my name will be on a home that she'll be sharing with her husband (both of them have bad credit). I think this is crazy. I only want to stay with her until I can get a job as a CNA and get my own place. I'm just trying to stay with her to get a little bit of a boost. I just think that her asking me to do this is a bit much.-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• DONT DO IT! I let my mom put her phone in my name. She couldnt make the payments now I have a 300 dollar bill in collections, because I cant pay it either. I make enough for my bills not her and mine. Thanks ma!
    Anonymous

• She obviously knows she's got a problem with her own, and doesn't care about yours. (credit, that is). Tell her, point-blank, that no, you'll not chance your credit for her to purchase something that sounds frivolous. It's better to chance hurting the relationship a little now over that, than totally ruining it down the road if you let her & she screws up and your credit is ruined. Stick to your guns, and don't do it! Make sure there's nothing around that she can find that has your SS# or any info like that on it either, or she just may "steal" it and do it behind your back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would tell her exactly as you told us, that today's economy is too unpredictable and that things are harder for everyone. If it were you alone, that would be one thing, but you have your son & his future to protect. That you are now having to support your son by yourself and that you have to protect every dollar you have. Tell her that if you could afford the motor home payment yourself, that you would gladly do it, but since you can't, that you won't. am sorry that she's put you on the spot...BUT STAND YOUR GROUND!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I'd say with the economy the way it is it's not the right time and suggest she save for a large down payment that will help her qualify on her own credit. They will take someone with bad credit if the down payment is high enough to show a personal investment.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Yeah, don't do it. I know you don't want to disappoint her, but she has planted her orchard and now must deal with the fruit herself. She needs to figure this problem out and decide how to deal with it, and risking your credit rating isn't the best way. - it isn't helping her.

Answer by Bmat at 3:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I took your advice and she actually understood. That's such a relief.-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• There is such a thing as identity theft. Don't let her do this. It can ruin your future for you and that little boy. I hope she understands. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009