How long should I wait before taking my newborn out in public?

We went to the dr 2 days after coming home...He is now a 9 days old and I am getting sick of being in the house. The dr tried to stress that we needed to avoid public places until he receives his shots at 2 months old. That seemed crazy to me..and my mom assured me that nobody waits THAT long. I just want to go get dinner somewhere other than my house or out of a bag.

mommytohuddy

Asked by mommytohuddy at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your Mom is right. No one waits that long. Put the baby in the stroller and take a walk outside or at the park. Sunshine is good for both of you. I can totally understand being done with cabin fever.

Your doctor will feed you full of stuff you may never want to know. But the big point is, you are the mom now and you decide what's best. How does an afternoon stroll sound?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Two months?!?!?!? We waited a week. My friend has 6 kids and with her last one she took her baby to walmart that day that she got out of the hospital to pick up a few things. She then took her to get her first baby pictures when she was like 4 days old. So whenever YOU are comfortable with it.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i can't remember the last time i left the house and i'm just pregnant.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• GET YOURSELF A BABY SLING AND GO!!!ANYWHERE YOU WANT WITH THE LOAD OF STUFF YOU NEED TO CARRY. BABIES LOVE THE SLING, THEY GET CLOSE TO YOUR HEART BEAT AND THEY LOVE IT. NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOUR BABY FOR TAKING HIM OUT.

Answer by older at 3:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• OH btw just don't let anyone touch your baby, try to keep your baby covered up. Carry hand sanitizer with you and sanitize your hands often and wash your hands after 5 times of using it.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I didnt wait the 2 months. But a friend of mine just had a baby and took him all over the dang place. He had to go to the ER with 2 severe eye infections. Thats not to say it was from him being taken out. Who knows what kind of dirty people she lets hold that baby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• thanks.. all these answers are making me feel much better! No fear of anyone touching him, haha I don't even let people pet my dogs when I go out. I am a little OCD about germs and such.
    mommytohuddy

Answer by mommytohuddy at 3:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• We stopped at the store on the way home from the hospital.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have never heard of having to keep a newborn quarentined until they were 2 months old. I've brought all mine out with me as soon as I felt up to going out.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It may have been a week or less, I had to get groceries couldn't count on deadbeat to do it and two women told me my daughter was cute but that if I had come out of the house 'back in the day' with that baby so soon everybody in the neighborhood would have whipped my butt. I just LOL'ed

Just bundle him up or keep him covered with a blanket and don't let random strangers touch or hold him and sanitize your hands and he should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009