Am I advancing him too quickly?

My baby is seven months with two teeth. His pediatrician said he could start on finger foods. So, I've been giving him mashed potatoes, fruits, vegetables, sliced and cut up turkey, bread, chicken noodle, beans, rice.. stuff like that. We were at a family luncheon when one of my family members told me he's too small to eat that kind of stuff. She told me that I was going to hurt his digestive track. She's like an old school nurse who wanted me to put oatmeal in his bottle when he was little so I didn't really believe her, but then someone else told me the same thing.

Am I in the wrong? Am I moving him too quickly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fantastic website: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm

i WOULD RESEARCH THIS... NOT GO BY PEOPLES OPINIONS

(I CHOOSE TO FOLLOW THIS AND MANY OTHERS LIKE IT, i.e. KELLYMOM ARTICLE (GOOGLE THAT TOO IF YOU LIKE) AND NOT START MY BABY ON SOLIDS UNTIL 6 MONTHS
    THIS WEBSITE GOES BY AAP AND WHO RECCOMENDATIONS... THEY ARE BEST I THINK
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 5:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Kids develop at different times. If he's doing fine with what you're feeding him then keep it up. If your doctor doesn't see it being a problem then I wouldn't worry.
    Sounds like he's getting healthy food so that's good.

People are always really quick to offer "advice" and tell you what to do and what not to do when it comes to your kids.
    You're his mother.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Teeth don't have anything to do with it at this age. They don't chew with their front teeth and usually don't have molars yet.

We started offering finger and table foods at 6 months and by 9 months they were completely on table foods.

You do what you feel is right and if that is giving him real food, so be it. You know the baby best....if he's doing well with table foods, go for it!!! The sooner he's on table foods for his nutrition, the sooner you're done with the other stuff!

Might I also recommend getting him on a sippy cup? Much easier early rather than later!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If your pedi is telling you it is ok then I would do what your pedi says, despite whatever everyone else is saying! He knows what he is talking about!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Before 6mo my dd didnt get anything besides breastmilk.. at 6mo I started offering but she wasnt crazy about 1st food till she was about 9mo...
    If your son is 6mo + & is eating the food -- NOT spitting it out then maybe he is ready..
    One thing they say to watch for when feeding them is them pushing the food back out with their tongue.. if they are doing this its a natural reflex that may be a sign they are not ready for food just yet...
    I would just make sure he is just eating stage 1 foods...
    :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I cna't recall when we started finger foods. We started with the puffs, and the gerber stuff. She liked the thicker stuff so if she was chewing well, we moved up. No problems. If your child can handle it, doc approves, then what is there to question? :) Just go with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i did the same with my dd she is 2 now and no digestive problems
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009