how long can you freeze breast milk?

I will be going back to college to finish my nursing clinicals and am breast feeding so i was wondering if i could pump my milk and then freeze it because i wont be able to pump much during clinicals

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Freezer 3months and deep freeze up to 6 months! by the way you go Girl:o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I work in the medical dept. with mom's and their babies. We tell moms they can freeze their breast milk for 3 months in a regular freezer. Make sure you put it in the back. You don't want to put it in the doors b/c you are opening the door all the time. Once you take the breast milk out of the freezer it is only good for 24hrs. Only thaw out what you are going to use for that day. Good luck in school. I remember those days.
    jmhapps

Answer by jmhapps at 12:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• This link will help http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

It says you can store breastmilk in a regular freezer for 3-6 months. Once you thaw it, it is good for 24 hours, and you cannot refreeze it.

The above link also talks about breastmilk handling as well (How to thaw, how to keep cool, etc)
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Oh--I wanted to add that if you are not able to pump much, of course it will affect your supply. Be sure to continue breastfeeding when you are around your baby, and keep pumping when you get a chance.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 12:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• you can freeze breast milk for about 3-4 months and if its a deeop freezer about 6-7 months
    jacobmommy

Answer by jacobmommy at 8:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2008