Freezing Foods

I've never frozen food ahead of time before so I'm not really sure what to do. 2 things I will be making this week for dinner are scalloped potatoes with ham and meat loaf. So I want to double each recipe and freeze the extra, do I just put them in their baking dishes wrap them up and put them in the freezer as they are, or do I have to do anything special to them before freezing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Just wrap them well, make sure there's no excess air in the packaging. I personally freeze everything in Ziploc freezer bags - if it's something like the potatoes & ham, I'll fill the bag, release the air, put the bag in the pan I'll be heating it up in later on, put it in the freezer overnight, and take the pan out the next day - that way the food is in the shape of the pan but you don't lose the use of the pan til you've eaten the food in it. Hope that made sense!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Just make sure you get as much air out as possible.use plastic wrap to air tight and tin foil to protect. I always let it cool in the fridge before putting it in the freezer to, to protect the other foods in the freezer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If its like a meatloaf or something easy to get out of the pan, I would wrap it in butchers paper or foil, then put it inside a large ziploc bag and squeeze all the air out. For the ham and potatoes, I would probably wrap the dish you use for baking in foil, then if there is a ziploc bag large enough, I would put it in that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009