Anyone have a child who does not want to learn how to ride a bike?

My son is almost 8 years old and still does not want to learn how to ride a bike. He is very short so he is between bike sizes. He does not want to ride the toddler bike and his new bike is still too big even with the seat lowered as far as it can go. He doesn't even want to ride with the training wheels on. His friends can all ride their bikes and that is still not enough incentive for him to try to learn. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions in getting him interested in riding?

Godblessmy3

Asked by Godblessmy3 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My little sister didnt want to ride a bike either. It just wasnt her thing. It may not be your sons either. She finally ended up learning to ride one around 11. She was into it for a while now she hates it again. LOL she is 13 now. So as you can see she wasnt into it for long
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My dd is 7 1/2 and doesnt ride one. She will let me hold her up and practice every once in a while, but she just doesnt get it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my step daughter did not ride a bike until she was 7. she is 9 this summer and you can not get her off. She was scared! and that was strange because she was the first daredevil for sledding, climbing trees and other things. Lots of reassurance and telling her that it will not be easy, but soon you will laugh at yourself when you think back on how you did not think you could ever get it
    she thinks that everything should come easy and gives up when she has to try, just her personality.
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i kept telling Emma it was all about balance and told her all the things she is good at that require good balance. It was a struggle because she was so scared and again it was odd to me because this girl is not scared of anything else??
    maybe the kids will out of control because of the balance
    that is all i could come up with so i kept reinforcing her great balance at other things??
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• opps
    maybe the kids feel out of control (typo)
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son is 6 1/2 and is just now showing a litle bit of interest in learning.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 8 years old and thinks bikes are cool in the store, but when we buy her one and bring it home it just sits in the bushes never to be rode again. I don't get it either!
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my daughter is 7 and she begged and begged for a bike. i got her bike at the beginning of summer she tried to ride it once. she got scared by trying to balance it she didnt get hurt but it has kept her off ever since. however my younger daughter who is just 5 rode it, fell off, tried again and now is good at riding a bike too big for her. I thought that would be encouraging for my older daughter but she just sits there really really sad. And when i encourage her to ride it, she gets angry, to the point that once i sorta forced her on it by offering a reward if she would just try in the driveway for two minutes. and she just sat there on the seat with her feet planted to the ground for two minutes. her friends are now riding bikes in the neighborhood and shell just stay behind when they ride around. she just sulks and complains that they left her. its very frustrating but i dont know what to do to encourage her.
    znkhan99

Answer by znkhan99 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories. I have to admit that after typing the question my son learned how to ride his bike reluctantly at first and now I have created a bike riding monster. Here is how it started. My brother-in-law told me that he took his boys to a park with a very small incline on grass. They went down the hill a couple of times only focusing on balancing and not worrying about peddling. After a few times down, they gained confidence and then started peddling. I thought that it sounded too easy to be true, but it worked. I took the training wheels off of his toddler bike and raised the seat as high as it would go. He could still touch the ground. I told him that we were going to go ride the bike or no T.V. or vidoe games. He went with me angry. Went down the hill a couple of times and then was hooked. We went to the park again last night and have been there at least 5 times today. Hang in there!!
    Godblessmy3

Answer by Godblessmy3 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• My 5 y/o son just isn't interested. He would never ride his trike and now he won't try the bike either. The first time he tried he couldn't figure out how to pedal and has been against it ever since. Maybe somewhere down the road he'll change his mind. Especially when all his friends are riding around and he can't. A bicycle affords a child his own mode of transportation (and cuts down on "Mom will you take me.."). Once they feel left out enough i bet they'll try harder.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 7:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2009