does baby powder cause yeast infections?

I have a little girl who is 2 yrs old and I have always put baby powder in her diaper. I change her diapers quite often and she rarely gets diaper rash. my friends daughter who is 16 and has a little girl lectured me about putting baby powder on my daughters diaper. so first I got kinda annoyed so i finally decided I want to see if its true. do other baby's get yeast infection from baby powder? my daughter has never had a problem like that and I have never been told that by her doctors so I am wondering where she heard this from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Never heard that either. Yeast infections are cuased by an increase in bacteria in the childs digestive track, usually due to antibotics killing off the good germs so the bad ones take over. Baby powder in and of itself will not affect his.

As others have said, the problem with baby powder is it can be inhaled and cause problems. Best way to apply is to put in your hand, then gently apply to baby's bottom so the powder doesn't fly everywhere. Google it and see what you find. Lots of great advice out there.

I appreicate the fact that you are trying to find the real answer instead of assuming one way or the other. It seems like a lot of people will just listen to what anyone says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• I didn't know about this, but from what I am finding by googling is that if there is a yeast infection that the cornstarch in baby powder can make it worse.

Answer by Bmat at 4:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Baby powder isn't supposed to be used because it could be inhaled and cause lung problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) takes a position that it is not safe to use baby powder. For care of diaper rash, the Academy writes that parents should "not use talcum or baby powder because they could cause breathing problems in an infant."
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You can can use talc,but put it in the diaper away from the baby so the baby can't inhale it,then put the diaper on. I don't know about talc causing yeast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have never heard of baby powder causing yeast infections. I do know that if you use powder to be very careful of how you put it on because the baby can inhale it and cause lung/breathing problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Baby powder isn't good for them. Use A&D ointment instead for protection.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 3:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2009