How can I get my two year old to stop waking up during the night?

He has always slept fine in his crib and we have recently moved him to a toddler bed. He seems to like the bed, but all of a sudden he is crying when I take him to bed and waking up at least two times during the night crying again for mama. I am also 5 mo pregnant and I know he can sense a change coming. I am the type to let him cry it out, but these cries are so sad and are always for mama. What can I do?

kristyher

Asked by kristyher at 3:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he is just having trouble adjusting. Think of how different it is going from a crib to a bed. The crib had tall sides that made him feel safe, now all of sudden he's just out in the open. Does he have a lovey or something that makes him feel more secure? Maybe you can get him something special like a stuffed tiger or a stuffed lion and tell him that it will protect him at night. Or just go in and reassure him a little when he starts crying, don't stay too long but at least let him know that everything is fine.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• A security item is a good idea.

If you feel like going to him. You can just slowly increase the time that passes before you go help him. Start with letting 5 minutes pass before you get up, then increase it from there. Eventually, he'll just fall back asleep before the time is up for you to go to him.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2009