• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone else had a toddler terrified of elevators?

My daughter is 15 months old and everytime we get in an elevator she panics and starts screaming. Any advice to help ease her fear besides taking the stairs--she is too heavy for me to cart up the stairs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, my son is still a little nervous on elevators. But I made it fun for him, like when the elevator moves I say "Weee, isn't this fun?" It gets his mind off of it mostly.
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 4:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My middle son was that way. He finally got over it. I always held onto him and reassured him that it was ok. We also did the "it's so fun to go on an elevator" thing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my DD (13 mo) just started acting afraid on elevators. we dont go on them much so we havent been able to come up with anything that may help, sorry.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Mine all went through that. I always wondered if it was the pressure change in their ears. Maybe try having him suck on her paci if she has one or having something to chew while riding. Other than that I just held them and reassured them that everything was fine, it was okay, etc. My 3 year old still holds his hands over his ears when we ride an elevator.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Haven't had that problem. But it makes me think of fluid on the ears or clostraphobia (sp?). My aunt always hated elevators.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Mine was like that he got over it didnt last long
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 7:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Try picking her up when you get in the elevator, my son pointed out to me that its really crowded when he's was in down there in that stroller, (you'd be surprised how many tote/baby bags some people carry and people don't care whether you have kids or not, they will not leave you any personal space). Also, let her push the buttons; its totally gross, I get sick thinking of how my kids are going to put thier hands in their mouths after touching the buttons, but it gives them something to look forward to and helps them practice their numbers. Try to get in first and ask everyone what thier floors are so that you can help her push the buttons. Its all about distractions!! Hope it helps.
    PINK_ENERGY

Answer by PINK_ENERGY at 7:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the idea of having her push the buttons as a distraction, although, like you I can be a bit weirded out by all the germs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Aug. 7, 2009