do you & your spouse have a seperate checking account??

my husband opened a checking account, I am debating if I want to be on it or open my own. he wants me to be on it & says we should be on it together bc we are 1. him & his ex had sepertate accounts bc he said he coudnt commit to something like that with her. and I know things are different with us, but which is better. seperate or joint accounts?

a-boys-world

Asked by a-boys-world at 4:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I like having my separate accounts. My husband says it makes him feel like he has some say in things, which is fine by me. He is responsible for paying half the house bills as am I. We have a joint savings. I used to pay all the bills and he just felt like I was babying him or something. You have to do what is best for both of you. We sat down and discussed it and this is what works for us. I know people can give you ideas on here, but your relationship is yours and only you and your husband know what will work best for both of you.
    Mommyto1DD

Answer by Mommyto1DD at 4:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• It is useful to have joint accounts for when one is away and the other needs to write a check on the account. There is no reason that you can't have a joint account but still have separate accounts. I have my own savings account just because when I was a SAHM I wanted that bit of security. But we also have joint checking and savings. If (sorry to mention it) something would happen to one of you, a joint account would permit the other to have immediate access to the money in the account.

Answer by Bmat at 4:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Both, honestly. That way, if you want to save up for something, you can put some in your own account. Be helpful for holidays time and presents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I have a seperate child support account, a joint checking, joint money market, and he has a seperate truck account. It's an easy way to keep track of what gets paid and where it comes out of. Also the child support money is only used for kids things. We like it this way, it may seem confusing but it works for us.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Mu husband has one account, which he had before we met and he added me on when we got married. I had my own bank account with a seperate bank before I met him as well, and I still have my own. He's not a joint on mine and has never asked to be. I'm a teacher and have my own salary, he's in the military and has his salary. He's never asked to be a part of mine. He's in charge of major bills, phones, cable, etc. I have household things like groceries, clothes, etc.

Whatever works for you guys..I personally enjoy having my own account that I can do whatever I want with.
    vanessa5470

Answer by vanessa5470 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• both of you are very true. I would hate if something happend to one of us & one of us couldn't have access. I think ill talk to him bout having a joint savings as well. thanks ladies.
    a-boys-world

Answer by a-boys-world at 4:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• my husband and I share an account..all the money goes into one place and comes out of one place no matter who spends it. Its always worked for us.
    2boymama

Answer by 2boymama at 4:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Seperate accounts. I had my own account before meeting my husband and when he moved to the states he needed to establish a line of credit and one of the fastest and best ways of doing that was by getting his own checking account. The only time both of our money goes into one of our account's is during tax refund time and it doesn't matter because that money goes to pay for our family vacation - so it gets deposited one day and the next day AAA gets one hefty check!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My hubby and i have separate accounts. One of our main fights used to be about money. Now its a piece of cake lol. we go by the 80/20 rule. sounds crazy i know. but he makes ALOT more money than i do. so he is responsible for 80% of the bills. i for 20%. with having separate accts you each have you own money. that way once bills are paid you choose what is done with it. we also have one joint account. we use this as our savings/vacation account. each month we both donate $150 to that account.
    BrooksDestiny

Answer by BrooksDestiny at 5:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You're lucky, my husband was hesitant on joining me to his account. He's a 100% grade-A momma's boy and SHE has been on the account since he was a minor. She is still on it now after we're married. I like being joined though, I don't work yet I handle the finances so it's easier to just whip out the checkbook or debit card rather than asking him for his all of the time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009