A mom WITH some Verbal problems with SON can u make up the past

Im a mother of a soon to be 17 year old son, a real good kid, but a little on the lazy side, for the last 11 years that i have been living in the same house with my husband and son, i hae become a bitter mean mom, days im, nice to him and days i would go off, and even call him retard(sorry for the word).. and i know i was just messing up his self esteem, and days he was like the great kid ur the best, but my husband and i did alot of this verbal damage, my question is, my husband and i have a new look on life now, and we dont know if we can make up for the 11 years of shit we put our son through, he did encounter, no reason woopins when he was 7, 8, 9 like if he spilled the milk, stupid reason, but can these things be made up, and changed...we love him, we were ina bad place, but now we want the world for him, will he forgive us, will he get his self esteem back?? help can the past be made up???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Only with a lot of therapy for all of you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I don't know if he's a good kid, then maybe things weren't as bad as you think they were. Most kids who would have grown up in a troubled home, would be acting out or something like that. I know I consider myself to had a great set of parents but my mom also thinks she yelled too much. I honestly don't remember her yelling hardly at all. Talk to him about what the thinks, he might surprise you.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 4:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Lots of communication and see a family therapist.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I agree, he might have resentment with good reason, but talk to him - be honest, let him decide at this age and he might really need you to show to him you have changed. have you talked to him about being sorry about abusing him so much throughout his life? how does he feel?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• THERAPY!!!! For all of you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2009