At what point do we need to get a new car seat?

My son is nine months old and is 19 lbs 28 and 3/4 inches. His little feet are starting to stick out over the edge of he car seat. Just wondering at what point to get a different car seat and if any one has any recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help.

TwylaBleu

Asked by TwylaBleu at 4:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is the size limit on your current seat. As long as he still meets the requirements of the seat, you can still use it. And we switched to the Costo Omega Elite and love it. It does rear facing from 5lbs and forward facing and will change to a booster up to 100 lbs.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i put my dd in a foward facing seat @ 9 or 10 months old b/c she was 22lbs and too long for her seat, the thought of someone hitting me from behind & her legs breaking scared the crap out of me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well, i think most infant seat limits are 20-22 lbs and i think 29 inches? So when he hits one of those. Best would be a convertible seat. There's a few good ones. Theres a few groups on here who have good info on care seats.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• If he is getting too big for the infant seat, get a convertible seat that can be rear-facing or forward-facing and use it rear facing until he is one year.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Anytime between now, and when he reaches the limits of his current seat. I personally LOVE the True Fit convertible seat, which runs about $190.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• All these people are wrong. LEGALLY a child has to be BOTH 1 year old and over 20lb to face forward. So you have to wait til the child is a year old. Otherwise he has to be rear facing. You should research this issue, I did and found that rear facing is much safer, regardless of how big the baby is.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I would like to add that the one PP was right, a new bigger car seat is fine as long as its REAR facing.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I had the same issue. At 5 months my little guy was too long for his seat (there should be a length requirement) We got a convertible seat and had it rear facing until he was a year old. He was MUCH more comfortable!!
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 4:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• 20lbs or so
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 6:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well the anon poster is an idiot so don't listen to her...
    You should have a limit listed on the side of your car seat for weight and height. The weight limit is a MUST you can NOT go over that limit. The height is a guide line... as long as your child has 1 inch of carseat above his head he can still be in the seat you own. It doesn't matter at all that his legs hang off the edge and there is NO danger at all of his legs being broken in a crash and your child isn't uncomfortable sitting like that either, I promise.
    You can get a convertible seat if you would like and threre are plenty on the market. Some are bettre than others though... I would stick with one of these: Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Triumph Advance, First Years True Fit, Graco My Ride and any of the Britax convertibles.
    You child must rear race to at least 1 year AND 20 lbs but it's better to keep them rearfacing to the the minimum of 2 yr and 35 lbs.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2009