For moms that run a home daycare at home.... :)

I am considering watching a few children during the week, but I want to make sure I will be making, at least what I"m making now. We will be expecting baby #2 in March, and well I don't think its worth going back to work. After bills are paid my check is left with $300, so another baby would for sure zero that out.

Is there websites about certification? Or more info about this?

Do you have to claim this on your taxes?

Why are you doing this and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks! I just want to know as much info before I get my hopes up! I don't know anyone who does this, and would love to hear from you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Contact your state health department regarding certification.

Contact the Red Cross regarding CPR and first aid classes

You have to report the money if you earn more than $600 a year. Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? Not like babysitting/daycare but I mean really working from home like on the computer and stuff. If you are interested e mail me at nakoal87@aol.com be sure to say that you are from cafemom : )
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• There are agencies that will certify you in your area (I know there are here), but not everyone does that anyway. See what people charge in your area and realize you probably have to charge similar rates. You will have two kids of your own, and one will be a newborn so you will have to figure out how many kids you will be comfortable taking care of, and how much money that will bring in. There is a legal number of kids you can watch (a ratio of kids to caregivers), and parents won't be comfortable either if they think you will be overloaded. It also depends on the age of the kids. People like experienced care givers too, so since you will be new to the field that will be a challenge. The other thing to remember is that you will be busy....very busy.....and your kids won't get your undivided attention. You won't have a lot of free time, but you also won't have the adult interaction you have when you go out to work.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2009